Maestronet Forums

Italian violin?

Aurella

Please, I was wondering if I can get any thoughts from any of the experts here on the veracity of this violin I just purchased in an auction? It is very beautifully made and in excellent condition, and is reputedly Italian. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Aurella

19 hours ago, Aurella said:

Please, I was wondering if I can get any thoughts from any of the experts here on the veracity of this violin I just purchased in an auction? It is very beautifully made and in excellent condition, and is reputedly Italian. Thank you in advance.

It really would have been far better to have asked this before you bought it.

It's not Italian, it could be Chi-talian though. I don't think it is old either.

20 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Do you think that scroll goes with it?

If the varnish has been sanded off and re-varnished it is getting difficult to say.

19 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

It really would have been far better to have asked this before you bought it.

It's not Italian, it could be Chi-talian though. I don't think it is old either.

Also a possibility I suppose. If it looks new because it is, or because it has been re-varnished, is hardly worth an argument

20 hours ago, Aurella said:

Please, I was wondering if I can get any thoughts from any of the experts here on the veracity of this violin I just purchased in an auction? It is very beautifully made and in excellent condition, and is reputedly Italian. Thank you in advance

There's a sucker born every minute.  Unfortunately, no one has the power to completely undo the damage they do to themselves, and to the world at large from their support of scammers by buying their stuff, further incentivizing them.

As "Wood Butcher" said, you should have asked first.

21 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

There's a sucker born every minute.  Unfortunately, no one has the power to completely undo the damage they do to themselves, and to the world at large from their support of scammers by buying their stuff, further incentivizing them.

As "Wood Butcher" said, you should have asked first.

It's not a Burgess then?