Maestronet Forums

How Does Dominant Pro Compare with Rondo (only available from dealers)

l33tplaya

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, they're going mano a mano with Evah Golds.   Since I'm testing out a set of those right now, I'm not very interested in the Pros.  :)

I like the Evah Golds, too. How long do they last for you? 

Anyone else interested a Consumer's Union style Report on violin strings? 

Website states that they are "suitable for soloists" that's what we want to hear. I'll probably try them but I suspect that they will just be a higher tension version of Dominants. I wonder what e will be like.

11 hours ago, deans said:

Website states that they are "suitable for soloists" that's what we want to hear. I'll probably try them but I suspect that they will just be a higher tension version of Dominants. I wonder what e will be like.

Don't hold your horses; Shar's ad stated that they would sell a set at discount ($89.95, IIRC), with your choice of someone else's E! 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 2:10 AM, l33tplaya said:

Just received an ad from Shar for Dominant Pro.  Has anyone tried them? I am partial to PIs, but dislike regular Dominants.  Getting ready to try Rondos.

Rondos are higher tension than Evah Pirazzi, Dominant Pro are lower tension than Evah Pirazzi Gold (Golds are lower than PIs). Given that, you can have some idea of how they compare. I also don't like regular Dominants, I don't like the tone of G and D (lack of bass) and their break-in time and tuning stability isn't the best.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:27 AM, Violadamore said:

IMHO, they're going mano a mano with Evah Golds.   Since I'm testing out a set of those right now, I'm not very interested in the Pros.  :)

Same here, I will continue using Evah Golds because they're larger in diameter, Dominant Pro are too thin. Evah P. Gold are almost perfect strings (perfection may not exist).

16 hours ago, D27 said:

Rondos are higher tension than Evah Pirazzi, Dominant Pro are lower tension than Evah Pirazzi Gold (Golds are lower than PIs). Given that, you can have some idea of how they compare. I also don't like regular Dominants, I don't like the tone of G and D (lack of bass) and their break-in time and tuning stability isn't the best.

Same here, I will continue using Evah Golds because they're larger in diameter, Dominant Pro are too thin. Evah P. Gold are almost perfect strings (perfection may not exist).

And the difference between Evah Gold and regular Evah's?

20 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

And the difference between Evah Gold and regular Evah's?

That is well known, Greens are higher tension than Golds. Golds are just a little above Obligato.

1 hour ago, D27 said:

That is well known, Greens are higher tension than Golds. Golds are just a little above Obligato.

Actually the total set tension for Greens is exactly the same as Golds, according to the Pirastro website (assuming silver-wound G for both sets: with the gold-wound G, the EPGold set is very slightly lower tension than EP (23.0 kg vs 23.1 kg)).

3 hours ago, Bodacious Cowboy said:

Actually the total set tension for Greens is exactly the same as Golds, according to the Pirastro website (assuming silver-wound G for both sets: with the gold-wound G, the EPGold set is very slightly lower tension than EP (23.0 kg vs 23.1 kg)).

It's the same because of a big difference in the E-string, don't let that fool you. It's normal for the E-string to be higher tension. You notice the tension more on G D A, and for those 3 strings, Golds are lower.

Obligato:

G: 4.5 kg

D: 4.7 kg

A: 5.4 kg

E: 8.0 kg

Evah Pirazzi Gold:

G Gold: 4.8 kg | G Silver: 4.9 kg

D: 4.7 kg

A: 5.5 kg

E: 8.0 kg

Evah Pirazzi:

G: 4.9 kg

D: 4.8 kg

A: 5.6 kg

E: 7.8 kg

Rondo:

G: 4.8 kg

D: 4.8 kg

A: 5.7 kg

E: 8.2 kg

I found this nice schematic of different string tensions:

https://www.violinstringreview.com/tension-chart.html

I've used Dominant, Evah Pirazzi, and PI before.  PI is definitely powerful, although I generally stick to dominant as it is reliable and pleasant.  Evah Pirazzi is awesome but the winding seems to fall apart more quickly than dominant.  I just started using a set of PI so I cannot report on longevity yet. 

I have a set of Tonicas on my backup violin because it is cheap, but I honestly never felt that it was worse than the other strings.  Maybe I should try Tonica on my main violin to save some money. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 1:18 PM, supraman said:

I found this nice schematic of different string tensions:

https://www.violinstringreview.com/tension-chart.html

That's not all correct, I think some of tose values were calculated/guessed, before the manufactures put their data available on their websites. For example, it says Evah Golds are higher tension than PIs, but in reality, it's the other way around. That chart gives a good general idea, but If you want to compare strings, use the official websites.

11 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Or the string companies websites are off and the reviewer tested the actual string tension, either option is possible.

Very unlikely that the manufactures would publish wrong tensions. The chart is old, some, companies didn't have it public. It puts Evah Gold as higher tension than PIs, but from my experience, PIs are higher tension, like you can conclude from the official websites.

10 hours ago, D27 said:

That chart gives a good general idea, but If you want to compare strings, use the official websites.

The disclaimer is pretty clear:

The string tension data has been gathered from the string companies themselves. Each company may use slightly different string lengths in their tests which will alter the results. These numbers are not concrete, and should be seen as a general range. The tensions listed are for the medium gauges of each set. If silver, and non-silver D strings are available, the non-silver string is listed. More detailed information will be on the strings individual pages. Remember, every string is different. One string having a different tension than another does not mean it will sound a certain way comparatively.

28 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

The disclaimer is pretty clear:

"The string tension data has been gathered from the string companies themselves. Each company may use slightly different string lengths in their tests"

Weird, so the companies decided for slightly different data when putting it on their websites and packages.

Ideally string tension should be measured under standard controlled conditions on multiple string sets of the same brand, and the results reported in terms of mean tension, median tension, and standard deviation.

I posit that some string brands with different reported tensions based single measurement test data may actually have statistically indistinguishable tensions if multiple sets were tested.

Standard controlled conditions would include parameters such as temperature, humidity, string length, string afterlength, length wrapped around pegs, and controlled tuning during a break-in period (48 hours?) when the string is stretching.

7 hours ago, D27 said:

"The string tension data has been gathered from the string companies themselves. Each company may use slightly different string lengths in their tests"

Weird, so the companies decided for slightly different data when putting it on their websites and packages.

Some manufacturers have the data on packages, but if you actually measure the tensions, they can be off. Not because that the strings are handmade, but there are variations.

I am trying to better understand string construction as the way a string is installed onto the instrument does have a slight effect on how it behaves. The great Maestros here make it possible for a string to work at its optimum. There are nuts, bridges, pegs and tailpieces that tear up strings at the worst, allow the strings to be elastic at their best.

My experience is that strings might change over time. If the data does not change ( I have not compared the data over the years ) I know that the data is not accurate. They are not misleading their clients as much as it might be laziness. 

When I used to buy microphones in matched pairs, the notion at the time was that sequential ( consecutive serial numbers ) were preferred. And that is likely true from a manufacturing process.  But when talking to the manufacturer, they discovered that it was possible to locate better pairings when they created batches and found more similar measured pairs after the final build sequence. By matching data, they were able to charge a premium for the "matched pair" and sold the ones that were not paired- off as singles. 

Certainly strings change behavior so quickly that measuring each string is silly.

In a time when Evahs were new to market, I would pre-stretch them ( mostly a- string ) so I had strings available for performance when one should break. I have had strings break at least a dozen times on stage.

Have not tried the new strings. Had difficulty adjusting to the Rondo when trying a set, but that could be old age.