Maestronet Forums

Ease help ID this "Germany" violin

Hello there, new here. I'm having g a little difficulty identifying this violin on my own.

I can't see anything g on the back plate through the F-holes and have yet to locate either of my inspection mirrors to check the top plate.

Seems a lovely, relatively old instrument.

Any help would be appreciated

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

20210220_201123.jpg

20210220_201037.jpg

Edited by theCOOP

Meaning you will not manage to find an individual makers name for this instrument. It is also not a valueable instrument, couple of hunderd dollars, provided the clumsy repair of the sadle crack on the top is solid. Likely it could serve an amateur well, and if it gets a good setup it may be totally servicable. To know this, one would have to hold it in ones hand.

18 minutes ago, baroquecello said:

Meaning you will not manage to find an individual makers name for this instrument. It is also not a valueable instrument, couple of hunderd dollars, provided the clumsy repair of the sadle crack on the top is solid. Likely it could serve an amateur well, and if it gets a good setup it may be totally servicable. To know this, one would have to hold it in ones hand.

Thank you. I can't explain the staining near the crack, but it doesn't appear to have been attended to yet.

What is the dead giveaway for build location, or are they too numerous to list? They may be quite obvious and glaring indications to those in the know. I tried to find another example of the GERMANY branding but have come up emptyhanded. I was afraid it might be an indication of it's generic nature but I think it's lovely still and the best darn $20 violin I've seen seen ,lol.

20210220_220143.jpg

22 minutes ago, baroquecello said:

Jacob has a had an excellent thread on that, maybe he'll share the link, if you ask nicely. It covers your question in all respects.

If you would like to use the violin, you should get that enormous saddle crack repaired before it turns into a sound post crack.

If you mean the one on how to distinguish Markneukirchen area “Dutzendarbeit” and Mittenwald “Verleger, it is here

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/325798-quiz-for-addie/&do=findComment&comment=538590

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you mean the one on how to distinguish Markneukirchen area “Dutzendarbeit” and Mittenwald “Verleger, it is here

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/325798-quiz-for-addie/&do=findComment&comment=538590

Thank you.

A friend has been looking at a lot of photos of Markneukirchen violins and hasn't found one yet with that GERMANY branding on the button. I haven't found any whatsoever. I mean,  it's the only mark on it, I find it strange not to find anything about it anywhere.

Edited by theCOOP

The brand on the button was applied because goods imported into the US were required at one time to be marked with their country of origin. It would have been applied by the maker or exporter, and could have been put anywhere, often stamped on the label, stamped on the inside of the back, printed on the label, anywhere.

Gotna look inside finally with a mirror from my dentist appointment this evening.

I can see that someone did indeed try to glue the obvious crack. There are very small, nearly square cleats on the central seam of the top plate. Doesnt appear to be a repair but rather preventive(?)

And "27" with a scribble on the upper block and 27 again on the lower block in pencil.

No other markings.