Maestronet Forums

Glasser bow hair is TIGHT. Should I worry?

Regina3000

I had an old Glasser bow that was victim to bow bugs, and I exchanged it for a newer Glasser bow. Right now, I can't get the hair loose, even if the button is loose enough to be almost out of the eyelet.

Seeing as how the stick is fiberglass, and not wood, should I worry, or should I just keep fiddling along?

Ok, thanks, guys!

I have a DampIt that I'm using, so I'm not too worried about the violin.

The Glasser bow (bought in August?) hair never did relax as much as I wanted right when I bought it, and I should probably have taken it back and asked them to rehair it, but I was lazy.

48 minutes ago, Regina3000 said:

I have a DampIt that I'm using, so I'm not too worried about the violin.

If your using a Dampit, then you should be worried about the violin. Use a case humidifier. Putting wet rubber tubes in f-holes is always a bad idea.

Hi @Regina3000 if you're leaving the violin out with a Dampit in it, then the Dampit really isn't doing much of anything at all to keep the violin in a humidified atmosphere. The Dampit is simply drying out inside the violin, and the humidity dissipating out the f-holes, and not being absorbed by the wood that needs it.

The problem with Glasser fiberglass bows is that the head and shaft are two separate pieces held together by a rod. The two sections can separate over time or if the head is exposed to excessive tension. As long as you don't crank the tension on the screw to the point where the bow looks like a hunting bow and put it away that way, you should be okay until the humidity returns.

Thanks again, @GeorgeH. I hadn't thought about that.

@Woodland, I'm backing off the tension until I can see the button start to back out, then leaving it there. I'm still not happy that it's tighter than I'd like, but I'm no longer worried that it's going to ruin the bow. Even tightened for playing, it's still not straightening the stick.