Maestronet Forums

The International Violin Bridge Competition 2021

violinbridges

52 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Do bow makers have similar discussions where only workmanship is judged at VSA competitions?

Even though the playing isn't judged, I've heard workmanship judges express opinions about whether a bow would play well or not.

32 minutes ago, sospiri said:

So are you virtue signalling your modesty?

I'm a'tryin. ;) You can call me Captain David Virtue. :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some 3D printed plastic bridges, with weights and rocking frequencies.

#2, 4, and 6 worked acceptably well, although still missing something compared to the maple bridge.  #1 was horrid, although I do like the aesthetics.  It's hard to use material 3x as dense and 1/3 as stiff as maple and match properties... not even considering that it has ~2x damping.  

Bridges.thumb.JPG.2e9322e95ffbc86568af00acf810fedf.JPG

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

#2, 4, and 6 worked acceptably well, although still missing something compared to the maple bridge.  #1 was horrid, although I do like the aesthetics.  It's hard to use material 3x as dense and 1/3 as stiff as maple and match properties... not even considering that it has ~2x damping.  

#1 Looks scary. I hope Captain David Virtue can save us.

6 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Hi Don,  What's a rocking frequency? How measured? And did you try other materials besides PLA?  For example, metal, carbon fiber, or especially wood filled? https://www.simplify3d.com/support/materials-guide/properties-table/ Or even casting with the liquid resin machines? 

3 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Hi Don,  What's a rocking frequency? How measured? And did you try other materials besides PLA? 

I measure rocking frequency by clamping the feet in a small vise, tapping the bridge on one side and placing a microphone very close to the other side (side, not front/back).  How exactly the bridge flexes and at what frequency in actual use is hard to say... the edge conditions are very different.  But it gives some idea of lateral stiffness.

Right now I'm using PETG as it is more stable than PLA, a choice I made for the other things I really intended to make, rather than printing bridges.  If I was really going for success with printing bridges (which I'm not), I might try the wood or carbon fiber material.  The main purpose of this is to test rocking frequency and weight effects without having to cut bridges.  It's much easier to draw up a bridge and print it.

One more...1072872169_Bridge7.JPG.ad9ca5a14136a79f98c503e137bf57a9.JPG

I finally got the rocking frequency up near the wooden bridge.  Slightly on the light side.  In playing, it is another "OK" bridge, but still missing crispness of tone.  My guess is that the high material damping is having some effect.  I haven't done the analysis of the frequency response plots yet, but I'll post the result if I think it's worth looking at.

• 4 weeks later...

Really pleased to announce that Teller - Germany has become one of our sponsors and partners, each category winner will receive a beautiful prize of their bridges.

deadline is August and so far have had entries from Singapore, Taiwan, Greece, China, USA and the UK

www.violinbridges.co.uk

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2821590261390062

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...