The International Violin Bridge Competition 2021


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob your such an old cynic :).

We have four internationally acclaimed judges who will be reviewing the bridges and as it says above and on the site its a wonderful opportunity to share and celebrate your art and work in these restricted pandemic times. 

I already know its not for you Jacob.

We feel its important to continue to celebrate our work and art and the competition has been a long time ambition, and I am very pleased that its going ahead this year.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, violinbridges said:

We have four internationally acclaimed judges who will be reviewing the bridges and as it says above and on the site its a wonderful opportunity to share and celebrate your art and work in these restricted pandemic times.

So it's a competition to judge the function of a bridge that's not on an instrument?

Or it's just a test to see how neatly a bridge can be cut?

Are cnc cut bridges allowed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wood Butcherthanks for that question, the purpose of the International Violin Bridge Competition is to compare aesthetically the standards of violin family bridges, and to celebrate and award the best entries.. It is not to judge tone.

But as part of the run up to the results we have 4 webinars planned, one on bridge cutting, one on Bridge tuning and adjustments and one from a major manufacturer and one q & a. All lead by industry experts.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Lynyrd Skynyrd be performing live? :)

How does one judge a bridge aesthetically, since there is no agreed-on prior standard of excellence, like there is in the fiddle world with the violins of Stradivari, Guarneri and Amati? Is it mostly up to the whim of the judge, or whatever happens to come closest to their preferred personal style?

Will deliberate asymmetry be penalized?

Who are the judges?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@David Burgess thanks for that question, didnt Lynrd Skynyrd die in a plane crash?

The judging criteria is on Workmanship, Execution, Material choice, Branding/ stamp, Usability, Design, Finish, Visual Balance and Overall appearance.

Excellence always shines.

"Will deliberate asymmetry be penalized?"  the bridge needs to show they are fit for purpose but there is an other category for non standard bridges which I would think is the best place for experimental design.

Judges will be revealed as in other violin competitions after the closing date, but I can tell you they are from America, Europe and England. Each a master luthier from different fields of the trade.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, violinbridges said:

@David Burgess thanks for that question, didnt Lynrd Skynyrd die in a plane crash?

The judging criteria is on Workmanship, Execution, Material choice, Branding/ stamp, Usability, Design, Finish, Visual Balance and Overall appearance.

Excellence always shines.

"Will deliberate asymmetry be penalized?"  the bridge needs to show they are fit for purpose but there is an other category for non standard bridges which I would think is the best place for experimental design.

Judges will be revealed as in other violin competitions after the closing date, but I can tell you they are from America, Europe and England. Each a master luthier from different fields of the trade.

 

 

Does this mean the judges are all German trained? I’m pretty sure the only country you can actually gain a master luthier certificate is Germany, and can’t apply for exam until you have worked in the trade for a minimum of seven years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I applaud the effort put into the book, but for me it is one of the most boring tomes I have ever read. We have a display in the shop I work in of the worst specimens that have crossed our benches. It is much more interesting to mock and ridicule these efforts. To each his own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FenwickG said:

I applaud the effort put into the book, but for me it is one of the most boring tomes I have ever read. We have a display in the shop I work in of the worst specimens that have crossed our benches. It is much more interesting to mock and ridicule these efforts. To each his own. 

Looking forward to your book as well! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a great idea. On one hand making a beautiful bridge is an art, even if many luthiers take their own skill for granted. On the other, if it can also inject some sense of fun into what is a rather gloomy year then I am all for it. I think that the option of winning a bridge-themed tiara in the novelty category ought to drive some innovation!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, violinbridges said:

@David Burgess

 

Judges will be revealed as in other violin competitions after the closing date, but I can tell you they are from America, Europe and England. Each a master luthier from different fields of the trade.

Actually, judges are revealed in many violin competitions prior to the closing date. That helps potential competitors get an idea whether their work will be judged by total hacks, or by people who know at least a little bit about what they are doing.

3 hours ago, violinbridges said:

@David Burgess the stamps and how they are applied are part of the marking process so they wont be anonymised.

 

Oh chit, I haven't stamped my bridges for about 30 years now, after I arrived at the notion that this was an expression of vanity, or advertising, not dissimilar to placing a repair label in a fiddle. Should I submit an unstamped bridge, or would it automatically not be up to snuff?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Oh chit, I haven't stamped my bridges for about 30 years now, after I arrived at the notion that this was an expression of vanity, not dissimilar to placing a repair label in a fiddle. Will this place me at a disadvantage?

As a player/collector, I really like seeing the bridge maker's stamp. I think it would be cool to find a bridge with "David Burgess" stamped on it. Or even better, a "Hulk Hogan" stamp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.