Maestronet Forums

Recent Amati Purchase

avandesande

Violin by Slavko Domitrovic Zagreb 2013, I picked it up in the after auction. It plays quite well, any reason for the lack of interest in this one? I checked his site in wayback machine, apparently he had 3 models but there is nothing on the label to indicate which one.

front.jpg

scroll.jpg

back.jpg

2 hours ago, avandesande said:

Violin by Slavko Domitrovic Zagreb 2013, I picked it up in the after auction. It plays quite well, any reason for the lack of interest in this one? I checked his site in wayback machine, apparently he had 3 models but there is nothing on the label to indicate which one.

front.jpg

scroll.jpg

back.jpg

Congratulations on your catch.  Sounds like the same sort of reasoning that dropped the Salustri in my lap, got applied here.  It's so much easier to buy something at auction, when nobody else bids on it.   :lol:

Slavko Domitrović was well known and probably the best among the few Croatian violin makers. He died in 2015 as you can see here:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/332082-in-memoriam-slavko-domitrović/

If your violin is from 2013, it’s probably one of the last ones he made. Hence perhaps a certain roughness in the details.

fc20140221croatia419351-th.jpg.3c1362f8ee6fc2c37d1cba3e6b4c988d.jpg

9 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Congratulations on your catch.  Sounds like the same sort of reasoning that dropped the Salustri in my lap, got applied here.  It's so much easier to buy something at auction, when nobody else bids on it.   :lol:

Yup. I've bid on a couple of lower priced bows that then skyrocketed in price. The good news is it suggests I had a 'good eye' for bows. The bad news is I got nothing since they sold for 4x more than I was remotely willing to pay. 

Orange is a funny colour to get right. There are plenty of old and very expensive violins that are orange, or have some elements of orange. 
The old instruments have depth and richness to their colour, which makes it quite appealing. Modern orange just seems to be without any depth or richness at all, which leaves it looking cold and hard to love.