Violin Identification

Hi everyone and thank you for having me in your group. I recently purchased an auction lot that had a couple of guitars and a violin. They were rescued from an attic after sitting there for over 60 years. One guitar was a 1921 original. I didn't think much of the violin and did take it to a violin restorer here in Sydney and he told me it is an original 1920's European violin. It is a larger size build for a man. He said one of bows was a baroque style. There was some writing inside in pencil which I did my best to photograph which I can't read. Perhaps you can piece together the photos and decipher the text? I just wanted to post here to see if anyone knew any more information about the violin and perhaps a value? I will be looking to sell. Hopefully to someone that will restore and use the violin and appreciate it for what it should truly be. Thank you.

_RPM3596-2.jpg

_RPM3597-2.jpg

_RPM3598-2.jpg

_RPM3599-2.jpg

_RPM3600-2.jpg

_RPM3601-2.jpg

_RPM3602-2.jpg

_RPM3603-2.jpg

_RPM3604-2.jpg

_RPM3605-2.jpg

_RPM3606-2.jpg

_RPM3607-2.jpg

_RPM3608-2.jpg

_RPM3609-2.jpg

IMG_20210210_141636.jpg

IMG_20210210_142609.jpg

IMG_20210210_142055.jpg

IMG_20210210_142121.jpg

IMG_20210210_142135.jpg

IMG_20210210_142158.jpg

IMG_20210210_142206.jpg

IMG_20210210_142229.jpg

IMG_20210210_142453.jpg

1 minute ago, violinsRus said:

but would the existence of a neck graft change the picture?  I think I'm seeing one, and the flame on the scroll is different from the neck. 

I see a neck graft too. Doesn't change the picture to me. 

40 minutes ago, violinsRus said:

I agree that the inscription is a repairman in Sydney, but would the existence of a neck graft change the picture?  I think I'm seeing one, and the flame on the scroll is different from the neck.  

no. A neck graft is a repair, and although some new instruments-like(gulp) Juzeks/Micelli/Morelli-have them from the git go, a grafted neck is just a repair that any violin can have regardless of age or geographic origin.

1 hour ago, violinsRus said:

I agree that the inscription is a repairman in Sydney, but would the existence of a neck graft change the picture?  I think I'm seeing one, and the flame on the scroll is different from the neck.  

Resolution is a bit hard to say for sure, but it looks like a fake (etched) neck graft to me.

16 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

If it has a neck graft it is probably original to manufacture IMHO.

I'm thinking later mainly because it looks like the touch up varnish doesn't quite match. But maybe original, many trade instruments had neck grafts as Duane mentioned.  I suppose it could be a fake graft too, pics are bad, but most of what I see points to real.

3 hours ago, violinsRus said:

Can you read the name? I cannot from the pictures, not that it is important.  I'd be interested to know if they are in Alan Coggins' book on Oz makers, which I don't seem able to find available for sale on the 'net anymore :-(

Tim

The graft looks real,  the flames go in different directions. But the image isn't sharp enough to be sure.

The red bow is Japanese and made of Ipé. There were a lot of these made, when? I don't know early to mid 20thC?

The two darker bow are Abeillewood.

I like the look of the violin, it looks well made and in good condition. 

5 hours ago, sospiri said:

The red bow is Japanese and made of Ipé.

Doesn't look at all Japanese to me neither Ipe. Probably German late 19th century with a later adjuster and the wood seems to be a pale orange pernambuco with a particular red varnish, which they very often used to colour this type of wood.

11 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I can’t tell whether the white materiel is ivory or Bakelite.

Ivory wasn't a big deal during this period, the Markneukirchener got it as waste from the piano manufactures. You can find many cheap bows with roughly carved frogs from real ivory.

19 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Ivory wasn't a big deal during this period, the Markneukirchener got it as waste from the piano manufactures. You can find many cheap bows with roughly carved frogs from real ivory.

Yes I know, And ivory by itself does not indicate quality. But Bakelite was invented about that time, And a lot of people thought it was “the coolest thing, “and used it. So I’ve seen a lot of low cost bows with Bakelite, Which is just early plastic.

27 minutes ago, Jwillis said:

Pretty much anyone would buy this violin for that. And my guess would be considerably higher...

Agree. No condition issues, clean, set it up, add a good chin rest, and flog it to a deserving lad or lass, or even to someone older. Cost is based on the going rate in your area, but definitely worth the effort. The bows might also be worth saving.

Edited by PhilipKT
1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

But Bakelite was invented about that time, And a lot of people thought it was “the coolest thing, “and used it. So I’ve seen a lot of low cost bows with Bakelite, Which is just early plastic.

This sounds like the usual salesmen speech. Similar tales were created and repeated by naive persons about the invention of Neusilber (nickel) for frog mounts, with the only aim to get higher sale prices. Both are and were always the cheaper stuff, and nowhere "cool" or fashionable.B)