Maestronet Forums

hendrik

12 hours ago, hendrik said:

Maybe the article helps him to find another enthusiast with similar artistic and scientific qualifications?

20K in 1999 : could have bought him a very nice fiddle if he had visited a reputable dealer. 

Yes, but somehow I doubt the 20K part of the story.

Well...this story does not go away.  I was asked to examine this instrument and give an opinion.  Preface: I told the owner I was not qualified to do more than observe and comment and that my name was not to be used in any public discussion of this violin.

As I looked it over I thought the varnish on the maple looked interesting in color but the situation did not permit me to examine it in a way that might be more instructive about the cochineal factor. 

I suggested a short list of those folks could give an authoritative assessment.  

Nuff said.

on we go,

Joe

I find it interesting that they purchased this instrument in 1999, and are still trying to prove it.

And there's this: "Stewart Pollens, a Stradivarius expert and former conservator of musical instruments at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, said it’s “more likely” the instrument is a commercial copy."

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

Hope springs eternal!

Not sure what more they can do. Not enough provenance and no "expert/s" wanting/willing to declare it yay or nay.

I think the experts I suggested each gave an opinion.  These are not folks who would bother to argue this in a public way.  That was 2 years ago.....

on we go,

Joe

On 2/10/2021 at 9:42 AM, FiddleDoug said:

I find it interesting that they purchased this instrument in 1999, and are still trying to prove it.

And there's this: "Stewart Pollens, a Stradivarius expert and former conservator of musical instruments at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, said it’s “more likely” the instrument is a commercial copy."

What that means, of course, is that he has been browsing the internet for much of that time amassing "evidence" on his own. As others have noted, all it would take, I assume, is 10 minutes with a recognized expert, and a chunk of change.