https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2021/02/is-this-violin-a-rare-stradivarius-cleveland-area-man-on-quest-to-prove-estate-sale-purchase-is-worth-millions.html?fbclid=IwAR17flU8_ZZrNYud1mFvNjATMkr7KHwbzpJSM2CQRcUqJcqBa9osdIqRidw

Found this rather interesting:

"A fitness professional, glass blower, and amateur physicist, he had both the artistic and scientific backgrounds needed to take up the case. At the same time, he was a newcomer to the violin world, a fact he said has given him easier access to dealers and other experts."

Unfortunately the pictures aren't very good, but looks like a nice violin. No mention of a dendro.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

I love the bit about dealers conspiring to keep prices low - I thought we were always being accused of the opposite

Depends on whether you're selling or buying, right?  Going by the photos and the whole feel of the narrative, my offer for it would likely aggravate them no end, especially the "free shipping" part.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Cochineal as "proof"? :rolleyes:  How about a dendro, structure, toolmarks, and how does it sound, whatever it is??  :huh: 

As Cochineal is a common food colouring (E120 until Britain regains sovereignty over E numbers), can they tell when when this 'proof' was applied to the instrument? :unsure:

2 hours ago, duane88 said:

Buy the plane ticket and take it to Ch. Beare. One way or the other, if he has a look at it, it's done. I will cost him, though...

Exactly. But there are people within driving distance of Cleveland that could tell him if its worth the trip and maybe act as a mediator. 

Of course none of this will happen.

Having read the first part of the article I can say that it is completely bogus. He has been trying “for years?“

Any expert can look it over and see if it’s a Strad, and from 20 feet away, too.

Pretty violin, but no.

I wonder if it came with a bow?

22 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Having read the first part of the article I can say that it is completely bogus. He has been trying “for years?“

Any expert can look it over and see if it’s a Strad, and from 20 feet away, too.

Pretty violin, but no.

I wonder if it came with a bow?

The bow was a Tourte, but he already sold that for 70 million magic beans

7 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Did it come with a case, rosin, a pitch pipe for tuning, or a spare set of strings?

It came with a letter signed by Elvis......... but it was dated 1985 #xfiles #mulder&scully

6 hours ago, duane88 said:

Buy the plane ticket and take it to Ch. Beare. One way or the other, if he has a look at it, it's done. I will cost him, though...

But that would spoil the fantasy. He doesn't want to discover what it is, he wants to prove it's a Strad.

I read a book by a woman who was convinced she had a Da Vinci painting. I wonder how much she spent getting that book published? And why she didn't just save the bother and ask the experts?

Maybe the article helps him to find another enthusiast with similar artistic and scientific qualifications?

20K in 1999 : could have bought him a very nice fiddle if he had visited a reputable dealer. 

41 minutes ago, violinsRus said:

Well, they even got as far as convincing someone to list the instrument as the 1737 McKay Strad on Wikipedia.  :)  There's got to be pics of the instrument out there somewhere...  Keep digging folks. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stradivarius_instruments

The Lost Last Strad.

The last one he ever made. Lost for decades. Now rediscovered. 

Of course, being the last one he ever made it has a place of special honour. It goes right to the end of the list for all to clearly see.