Maestronet Forums

Bow chatter question??

I recently had a bow rehaired and ever since I did the bow now chatters when I hit the top third of the bow. First this is not technique, multiple people have used it and it chatters in the exact same spot for each of them, and there is nothing wrong with their technique. I will also add that the bow did not chatter before and I have been playing with it for years with no issues. The only change was I had it rehaired. 

I tried looking online for answers, but all I could find is people saying bow chatter was technique and that’s not the case here I believe there is something wrong with my bow and need some help figuring it out. 

thanks in advance

Grace E 

Take it back to the luthier and explain the issue. See if they will tinker with it. Perhaps it just needs redone (bad batch of hair)?  Either way, maybe they will make it right.  Especially since you are certain the behavior is after the rehair 

Can a bad batch of hair do that? I want to go back to the luthier with some knowledge under my belt. I actually know a little about rehairing already but I couldn’t find anything about a problem like this. 

This is the first time I’ve used this luthier and he seems competent.

I had it rehaired about a year and a half ago. The previous luthier I used will not b getting my business ever again. They actually chiseled out the mortise of the head to fit their massive wire knot in. This left the head only about a millimeter and a half thick on the sides. They then proceeded to glue everything in place and it was extremely difficult to remove.  This was when I started trying to learn about bows and rehairing so I wouldn’t be taken advantage again. This new luthier did a beautiful job with the hair, it was a smooth even ribbon and everything looks great but now my bow chatters horribly. 

I’d like to know more before I take it back to the luthier. 

If it only chatters in the same spot on the bow, defective hair isn't likely. What are the chances that every single hair has the same defect in the same spot along its length?

It's possible though, that the hair was contaminated with something at the same location during the rehair process.

I wonder if the rehair changed the tension across the ribbon of hair, causing the stick to bow slightly sideways, thus changing the bowing characteristics.  I have seen this on several otherwise nice bows.  And I agree with Stephen, that a recambre can subdue chatter.

2 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

I'm pretty sure when a friend noticed this on a bow I was trying and mentioned it to David Forbes, he fixed it with a bit of recambre in a few seconds right before my eyes.

Yes, a lack of camber behind the head could cause this. 

4 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

If it only chatters in the same spot on the bow, defective hair isn't likely. What are the chances that every single hair has the same defect in the same spot along its length?

It's possible though, that the hair was contaminated with something at the same location during the rehair process.

I'll tend to agree with that, since this is much more likely, (or hair contamination shortly after the rehair), than the camber having unintentionally changed during the rehair. Not that an unintentional camber change during a rehair is impossible, if sketchy methods are used.

I also suspect some sort of contamination of the hair but wonder what exactly you mean by "chatter"? If this is a starting and stopping of the sound that would certainly point to contamination but if the bow is actually lifting off the string that would more likely be a camber or balance issue. if this happened with one of my rehairs I would certainly want to know and would probably redo the rehair to see if that fixed the problem. If the hair was contaminated after or during the rehair that should  take care of the problem and if the hair was contaminated in the bundle more than likely other people will also have complained.

3 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

I also suspect some sort of contamination of the hair but wonder what exactly you mean by "chatter"? If this is a starting and stopping of the sound that would certainly point to contamination but if the bow is actually lifting off the string that would more likely be a camber or balance issue. if this happened with one of my rehairs I would certainly want to know and would probably redo the rehair to see if that fixed the problem. If the hair was contaminated after or during the rehair that should  take care of the problem and if the hair was contaminated in the bundle more than likely other people will also have complained.

When I get within about 9-12” from the tip the bow makes a series of shallow bounces/wobbles that give the sound a kind of chatter to it. It’s in the same spot every time and has been for the other people who tried the bow out. 

I’ll have it rehaired and see if that makes a difference. 

18 hours ago, Grace erickson said:

When I get within about 9-12” from the tip the bow makes a series of shallow bounces/wobbles that give the sound a kind of chatter to it. It’s in the same spot every time and has been for the other people who tried the bow out. 

I’ll have it rehaired and see if that makes a difference. 

Please let us know how this plays out as it is an interesting issue. Good luck!

You can run a clean comb through the hair in that area to check for any hairs crossing over, hairs stuck to other hairs, clumps of something, etc.  Then rosin the problem area really well and see what happens.  With rehairs I rosin an insane amount initially, and after the clouds of rosin dissipate and it eventually feels like it needs rosining again I go back to normal with it