Late Andrea Guarneri violas

The Primrose and Josefowitz violas (some think his son made the later ones) seem to be among the most copied Andrea Guarneri violas. The outer shape and size of those two is almost identical suggesting that they were made on the same mold. I wonder whether anyone has more detailed measurements, arching and thickness patterns?

19 hours ago, uguntde said:

The Primrose and Josefowitz violas (some think his son made the later ones) seem to be among the most copied Andrea Guarneri violas. The outer shape and size of those two is almost identical suggesting that they were made on the same mold. I wonder whether anyone has more detailed measurements, arching and thickness patterns?

I believe Tarisio sold the Primrose in 2012... Maybe contact them and see if they are willing to share what information they have...

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I believe Tarisio sold the Primrose in 2012... Maybe contact them and see if they are willing to share what information they have...

Thanks, I did, no response yet.

All the (few) Andrea Guarneri violas I saw are a bit different in archings, corners, f holes, suggesting perhaps other hands on them.

The measurements given Bein & Fushi to the PRIMROSE in their monograph about it are:

body length: 41.3
upper bout 19.3
middle bout 13.4
lower bout 24.5
stop 22.5
neck: 15 centimeters.
10 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

Bein and Fushi may still have copies of the Monograph . It is small format and has very good photography. I do not think it has any thicknesses. I don’t think there is anything far out of the ordinary about it.

DLB

Yep, no technical information. I use the scroll of the PRIMROSE for my violas, but make them without "shoulders"  and 5% smaller.