Maestronet Forums

Two years playing violin self taught

Stringy

The anniversary of me starting to play this most difficult of instruments, I haveno teacher and people on here gaveme some good advice, this is were I am now.

I use slow pieces like this to try to improve tone and intonation. I have now started to learn a few baroque  pieces from baroque volume 2 by Richard jones, any comments welcome, thanks for viewing.

Nice - thanks for posting. Your intonation is good. Keep experimenting with bow speed, placement, and pressure for your tone.

Also, give that 4th finger some work :-) Play a 4th finger E instead of open string in this tune and it will sound better. 

I'd suggest trying a web service like strummachine.com to create rhythm back-ups that would help with tempo and make playing more fun (since you're by yourself). All you need is the chord progression. "Anne's Song" may already be in it.

And I'd also suggest a different camera angle for your next video.

Congratulations on your anniversary, and keep up the good playing!

I must say you are proof that the "more mature" student should not be put off the violin. I played various instruments from an early age, mainly the guitar and didn't start the violin until I was in my early forties. I will never be very good but I play in tune and enjoy it and even some other people do!

Andrew, we are similar in that I started a long time ago on other instruments, couldnt read music but I have taught myself how to do that in the last couple of years.

I think being able to move the left hand already, helps a lot, but no way to deny that fiddle is very hard indeed,  I like your choice of words as well(more mature), made me laugh;)

I'm certainly not qualified to give advice; I've only been playing four years and have no prior musical background. 

But from what I remember of your earlier recording that you posted, it sure seems like your intonation has improved a lot.  Sounds like some nice progress to my ears. 

12 minutes ago, outofnames said:

I'm certainly not qualified to give advice; I've only been playing four years and have no prior musical background. 

But from what I remember of your earlier recording that you posted, it sure seems like your intonation has improved a lot.  Sounds like some nice progress to my ears. 

Thanks for your comment, much appreciated. I have put a vast amount of work in, on trying to improve, especially during our frequent lock downs when I havent been able to go to work for monthhs on end, all I do is go for walks and practice. 

By the way I think you are qualiified to give advice, thought your last post was excellent.

Intonation so much improved from your last posting. You are adding that little "space" between detached notes that makes the melody stand out. It was a pleasure to listen too.

Tempo still seems to be a challenge. Have you tried using a metronome? You can get free apps for your phone that work well.

Each phrase in Annie's Song lands on an extended note that can challenge one's patience to stay with it for the full count, or to insert a proper amount of space to maintain a consistent rhythm. An added complication is that it is one of those songs that can benefit from a little lyrical freedom in the tempo. So it is a tempo balancing act.

ctanzio, thanks for the comment and support. I do still struggle with tempo, as you point out, I have tried a metronome, and intend starting to use one regularly, its good advice. very astute observation on patience and note length, that is probably amongst other things one of my main failings, I will get better though:)

Your bow hold and elbow height are very beautiful and remind me of the great violinists of the past. Something that helps me with intonation is relating fingers to open strings when I can form perfect intervals. For example, on the D string I can do first finger E with open A (perfect fourth), third finger G with open G and fourth finger A with open A. It has helped me tremendously!

As he says, you can check perfect intervals (unisons, 4ths, 5ths, 8ve)  against open strings.  To check other intervals check them against notes that were checked against open strings.  The perfect intervals are the most important to have in tune.  Around that framework the whole steps can be placed wide and the half steps can be narrow.  The half steps are leading tones to the 4th and octave. 

I think a good exercise is to play a scale that only includes the 1, 4, 5, 8.  That solidifies the key in your ear.  Then next pass you can add 3 and 7 so you play 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8.   Finally add 2 and 6 to taste to play the whole scale

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

As he says, you can check perfect intervals (unisons, 4ths, 5ths, 8ve)  against open strings.  To check other intervals check them against notes that were checked against open strings.  The perfect intervals are the most important to have in tune.  Around that framework the whole steps can be placed wide and the half steps can be narrow.  The half steps are leading tones to the 4th and octave. 

I think a good exercise is to play a scale that only includes the 1, 4, 5, 8.  That solidifies the key in your ear.  Then next pass you can add 3 and 7 so you play 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8.   Finally add 2 and 6 to taste to play the whole scale

Thanks for the reply,that sounds a good idea with the scale, I am going to give that a go see if it improves my ear at all, cant hurt to try anyway.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Rue said:

This story is soooo romantic. :wub:

I love the song.

When I was a kid, John Denver was always the subject of ridicule on British TV. Don't ask me why, I have no idea, I didn't follow his life story.

Anyways, the song is a waltz as well as a beautiful melody. And rhythm and melody are inseparable.

6 minutes ago, Stringy said:

True, romance isnt dead, I just look it.

So we gotta get you to move Stringy. You're in tune, but outa step. Please do it again with sway.