Maestronet Forums

Mystery 1/2 violin

sounpost

I got this from a friend with a sale of a 1963 spinet piano.  I mistakenly said "3/4" in initial post

spacer.pngNO origin story or tags except this rosin and glasser bow.  Original strings and tailpiece were gut.  Chinrest - made in Germany.  I

really would love some help in identifying the approximate maker (US, german?)

Killer flame on the neck and scroll, gorgeous back - and a surprisingly big an open tone.  Old Sherman rosin.

I kept on getting errors for uploading photos (even when smaller) so I have added google photo link. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GWKZEzr9KNtWaH7G7

Thanks for the Help!

Edited by sounpost

Painted on? No, not in the least -  same flame consistent (with nice 3d figuring) all the way from the heel to the scroll.  Back flaming is of course visible through the unvarnished inside.

The figuring changes in light - so if it was painted on, it would actually be a masterpiece.  I did marbling and burl painting for library$ back in the day.

3 minutes ago, sounpost said:

Thanks!  I have added all those to my linked album - what is that error -200 that I get when trying to upload?

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/GWKZEzr9KNtWaH7G7

New members are not allowed to upload directly to the board until they have 10 approved posts.  

Thank the spammers for the inconvenience... The  process is necessary to keep the board "clean".

Thanks for posting those photos. Hopefully they are adequate for an ID. Came with a ‘63 danish walnut spinet piano and a Braque print - so maybe 50’s or 60’s at the youngest. Guessing it was the parental pass down - so 40’s purchased in Portland Oregon

Thanks for posting those photos. Hopefully they are adequate for an ID. Came with a ‘63 danish walnut spinet piano and a Braque print - so maybe 50’s or 60’s at the youngest. Guessing it was the parental pass down - so 40’s purchased in Portland Oregon

original octagonal bow is august prell- no hair

On 1/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, sounpost said:

I got this from a friend with a sale of a 1963 spinet piano.  I mistakenly said "3/4" in initial post

spacer.pngNO origin story or tags except this rosin and glasser bow.  Original strings and tailpiece were gut.  Chinrest - made in Germany.  I

really would love some help in identifying the approximate maker (US, german?)

Killer flame on the neck and scroll, gorgeous back - and a surprisingly big an open tone.  Old Sherman rosin.

I kept on getting errors for uploading photos (even when smaller) so I have added google photo link. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GWKZEzr9KNtWaH7G7

Thanks for the Help!

I like it, especially for a 1/2 size violin.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:02 AM, PhilipKT said:

I think it’s probably the nicest fractional violin I’ve seen, I don’t know what age would be appropriate for that size, but it’s definitely not a wall hanger.……ummmmm what about the bow?

It's quite nice indeed. I have recently acquired a nice 1/2 too. What is important it sounds v. nice. Will serve to my daughter I think.

According to OP's violin I would agree with prof. Saunders.

State of preservation makes me think it was hardly used and stored in a better grade case in which violin was not damaged by bow itself next to fingerboard what often happens in cases of that period.

1 hour ago, sounpost said:

Ok, so Markneukirchen trade violin it is - the I will get the prell bow professionally rehaired - as my skills are still at the "practicing" level.

Nice bow - is it something special past "a good bow" ?

If it is a Hermann Prell, it is a Very nice bow indeed. Definitely the best 1/2 sized bow I’m aware of, though I’m sure, Voirin and the other biggies made some as well.

But Prell was also used on shop bows. Better have someone look at it, and pleas e post some good photos here?

oh I just saw the photos you already posted. Wrong Prell. This looks more typical. 

4 hours ago, sounpost said:

I will get some higher def soon.  Thanks

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

No need. It’s a generic brazilwood bow, useable but unexciting.

I have no clue about the value of the violin. For all its condition and charm, it’s a half size trade violin and your daughter will grow out of it before she is ten if she is growing normally. I would keep it carefully in the family until HER daughter can play it. That will be an emotional moment.

:-)