Maestronet Forums

Gaetano, Collaboration, or Mario copy?

17 hours ago, classicalmusic said:

Im curious if anyone here might be able to figure this one out. Its labeled Gaetano, some things look like Gaetano, but maybe his hand and also the son, or maybe the son tried to make a copy of the father. It looks very nice though. The LOB is 355.

Thanks for any ideas about it!

IMHO, it would be very helpful if you were much more candid about the circumstances surrounding this violin.  There can be a lot of clues in the offerings that might dispel some of the fog that seems to gather around Gaddas.  :)

The one who saw in person thinks its collaboration. He offered to make certificate.

The other one didnt see in person, only saw detailed pictures and came to conclusion its Mario Gadda 1975... Also offered to make certificate...

So Im left a bit baffled about it and thought Id see what consensus there might be here cause some of you seem to have quite the track record.

Maybe its too difficult to know this one without in hand, but thought I’d share and see how it strikes you.

1 hour ago, classicalmusic said:

Cause the other guy I think is more respected.... 

I bow to the superior knowledge of "the other guy", and I definitely favour 1975 to 1950, but the violin looks pretty new to me ...

Did 'the other guy" offer to certify it from the photos, or did he ask to see it in person?

It sounds to me like Garda, father and son, were, as the Reverend Morris so delightfully described, “… Men of easy honor“ and would make whatever they wanted to, and label it however they wished with the purpose of deception? At the same time, it appears that they were both actually competent or better makers?

If those are both true statements, are there any other people in the violin making business about whom the same could be said? 

25 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

It sounds to me like Garda, father and son, were, as the Reverend Morris so delightfully described, “… Men of easy honor“ and would make whatever they wanted to, and label it however they wished with the purpose of deception? At the same time, it appears that they were both actually competent or better makers?

If those are both true statements, are there any other people in the violin making business about whom the same could be said? 

Yes, and you misspelled "Gadda".  :lol:

11 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Huh?

I’ve played a couple of these GG branded instruments at Tarisio. This one looks exactly like the ones I’ve seen in person if not one of them. Did you buy it there? They were always ascribed to Mario only although labeled and branded Gaetano all over.