Maestronet Forums

Fake of a copy of a fraud!! Any similar or humorous stories of your own?

Flattmountain

18 minutes ago, Flattmountain said:

Is that hulk Hogan?? Or maybe I'm just crazy... nvm I'm crazy no matter what 

It's not just Hulk Hogan, but Hulk Hogan brandishing a viola, which should be infinitely more threatening and intimidating than either one alone.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Nothing to contribute but enjoyed the story.

I would want my teachers head on my Cello, to remind me to practice

that head always makes me think of Aesop.

lol that would be funny!

BTW, I’m supposed to ask if it came with a bow?

supposed to? you are under commands, ok. no, when violins come from a shop they usually expect you to have your own bow or buy one separately, unless it's a beginner outfit.

I can't quite stretch to a fake of a copy of a fraud, but I suppose it would be best described as a copy of a fraudulent fake, or maybe a copy of a genuine front to replace a fraudulent fake. 

I am talking about a "mostly" genuine Stradivari with, until recently, a (fraudulent) table by the Voller brothers.  This table has now been replaced by a new, more "convincing" one.  Since as everybody involved knows about it, it is no longer fraudulent.  If and when this information is lost in the future however, it may become so...
Also it reminds me of the Guadagnini replica by Roger Hargreaves, which lost all its maker's identification marks and was being sold as the genuine article at auction!

14 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

I can't quite stretch to a fake of a copy of a fraud, but I suppose it would be best described as a copy of a fraudulent fake, or maybe a copy of a genuine front to replace a fraudulent fake. 

I am talking about a "mostly" genuine Stradivari with, until recently, a (fraudulent) table by the Voller brothers.  This table has now been replaced by a new, more "convincing" one.  Since as everybody involved knows about it, it is no longer fraudulent.  If and when this information is lost in the future however, it may become so...
Also it reminds me of the Guadagnini replica by Roger Hargreaves, which lost all its maker's identification marks and was being sold as the genuine article at auction!

Nice!! did it actually get sold??

1 hour ago, Flattmountain said:

Nice!! did it actually get sold??

Ask Jacob to share the story of that violin. Such a hullabaloo!

meanwhile, I have a big interest in bows and I’m always asking about the bow, so it was kind of a joke but the bow you chose is of interest to the gang here.

Edited by PhilipKT
Grammar

Ask Jacob to share the story of that violin. Such a hullabaloo!

meanwhile, I have a big interest in bows and I’m always asking about the bow, so it was kind of a joke but the bow you chose is of interest to the gang here.

ah. I am in need of a bow, and I'm trying to get to where I can afford a decent pernambuco. as of right now I am using carbon fiber; not the best, but it works. I like buying and 'flipping' violins. When I trade up to it finally, I'll go to Fred Carpenter's shop and try his bows out.

Its from that skit where Stephanie is giving a violin recital and bad girl Ronda Rousey gets into the ring and starts coughing.  Stepanie re-starts a couple of times and finally she's had enough.  It was an HBO ppv and it was a promotional shot.  Back in the '80s.

23 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Its from that skit where Stephanie is giving a violin recital and bad girl Ronda Rousey gets into the ring and starts coughing.  Stepanie re-starts a couple of times and finally she's had enough.  It was an HBO ppv and it was a promotional shot.  Back in the '80s.

Ronda Rousey the UFC fighter??

We had a violin exactly like this at the shop I used to work at. It was a genuine Derazey that had the old man head, double purfling and marquetry on the back. The one that you took home doesn't seen to actually resemble the one that I had to stare at every day. 

The whole conception was just awful taste, but great execution.

28 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

We had a violin exactly like this at the shop I used to work at. It was a genuine Derazey that had the old man head, double purfling and marquetry on the back. The one that you took home doesn't seen to actually resemble the one that I had to stare at every day. 

The whole conception was just awful taste, but great execution.

Had I known more about Derazey, I may not have taken it home :lol:. It was a great learning experience for sure

Someone did go to a whole lot of trouble... I wonder why? maybe they had the neck and head laying around...

I am not quite sure if it is humorous story but one of my violins (first from my bench thread https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342875-mendicus-bench/ ) was sold on ebay stamped and labelled as Paul Knorr, stating it was heritage and went through 750eur restoration 1.5 year ago (at that time violin was still with me, I sold it about year ago). Violin sold for about triple of my average price.

I think it is a bit shame that my violins need to be relabelled to gain value:)

3 hours ago, mendicus said:

I am not quite sure if it is humorous story but one of my violins (first from my bench thread https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342875-mendicus-bench/ ) was sold on ebay stamped and labelled as Paul Knorr, stating it was heritage and went through 750eur restoration 1.5 year ago (at that time violin was still with me, I sold it about year ago). Violin sold for about triple of my average price.

I think it is a bit shame that my violins need to be relabelled to gain value:)

Your violins are beautiful!! They are pieces of art that I would be honored to play. I don't think a label changes value... the only person looking only at the label would probably be people on eBay. I judge solely on sound :) too often big names are blindly trusted, and smaller makers not.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, David Burgess said:

It's not just Hulk Hogan, but Hulk Hogan brandishing a viola, which should be infinitely more threatening and intimidating than either one alone.

I always thought that was a candid shot of you dealing with a customer.

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I always thought that was a candid shot of you dealing with a customer.

He goes under the trade name of David Burgess, because, as awesome as Hulk is, people would not believe it possible the Hulk Hogan made those astounding fiddles he does.

16 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

He’s called David already. You only have to ask permission if you want to call him knuckle-dragger, or something like that

She said, “May I…” so Make sure you give her credit for excellent grammar. I’ll bet she never says, “my best friends violin shop is closing.”

1 hour ago, Flattmountain said:

:lol: yes you may. may I call you David?

Sure. Or since you claim to be from the South, Dave or Dave-Bob or any number of other things will be just fine.

Jacob, isn't a knuckle-dragger better than a panty-waist? Or have I got it backwards? ;)