Maestronet Forums

Sound projection

Rachell66

17 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Which article?

I believe she is refering to the thread that you linked to good sir. Your post about how to recognise where a violin is from - Mittenwald - Verleger - Markn/Schönbach - Dutzendware

I like the section on beer

35 minutes ago, uguntde said:

I haven’t seen a single viola that was great on the 7th position on the c-String. Playing up the keyboard is reserved to violins and cellos. :huh:

Reminds me of a German viola joke:

Bratschen haben nur 3 Lagen, erste Lage, Notlage und Niederlage

On 1/28/2021 at 2:39 AM, Rachell66 said:

The note b or c on the g string of the violin, not higher position. In first position 

That is the frequencies 247Hz (B3) and 261Hz (C3). The open G string is «bold». The note is 196Hz (G3) and harmonics 392Hz (1st), 588 Hz (2nd), 784Hz (3rd) and 980Hz (4rth).

If any of these harmonics are close to a resonance in the violin body, there will be a fairly full sound. Maybe it takes two for the sound to stand out as bold. 

The two raspy notes are a little lower in frequency than the main air resonance. Maybe it is placed high around D?. The first harmonic also will usualle be in a valley between the two stronger body resonances. (494Hz and 522Hz respectively for the second harmponics of the notes b and c). The back plate might be stiff and it may have a higher than normal B1+ frequency.

The main air resonance can be heard by blowing into the f-holes. Or just by sliding the notes until maximum appear aound C# to D. The B1+ frequency is more difficult to find, although the same procedure may be used sliding the note until it appear lodest.

A small model would also give higher than normal mode frequencies. Larger f-holes give higher main air resonance frequencies.

I think these weaknesses and strenghts is the nature of the violin. It is very hard to change the response without major work. Having said that, different chinrests or tailpieces can move the resonances around a bit. Trying different products may change the respone a little. 

The response also changes with the climate. The insturments become stiffer in drier climate and vice versa. Stiffer instruments get higher resonance frequencies and lower damping. More moist climate give a little lower resonances and slightly more lossy wood. The main air resonance will also become stronger as the plates becomes more flexible. 

This thread is interesting.

It's like  a group of doctor being ask to diagnose a patient that they are not allowed to see or speak to but can only ask his friend questions about his symptoms.

Let me ask a question here:

How high is the bridge, and is the soundpost tight?

Both of the could potentially choke the G.

2 hours ago, CSchabbon said:

This thread is interesting.

It's like  a group of doctor being ask to diagnose a patient that they are not allowed to see or speak to but can only ask his friend questions about his symptoms.

Let me ask a question here:

How high is the bridge, and is the soundpost tight?

Both of the could potentially choke the G.

For those in the US, it is not unlike listening to Car Talk. After 15 minutes of making jokes and ruminating about possible causes for the problem, they would invariable end with 'but you should probably just take it to the shop'