Maestronet Forums

Antique Maggini needs repair

Rachell66

Hello,

Please help identify this violin and tell me if it is worth repairing quite a big crack.. 

This old Maggini copy needs repair. 

Where and when would it have been made? 

Is it worth the repair?

The high arch.. Would it make the sound too harsh, nasal and shrill..? 

The botton ... Is it in the right place? Or too low? 

I value your input, thanks, Rachel

Screenshot_20210124_224221.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_224159.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_224127.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_224100.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_224024.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223959.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223926.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223903.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223846.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223829.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223813.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223755.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223725.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223702.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223629.jpg

Screenshot_20210124_223603.jpg

Hi Rachel!

It is really impossible to judge a sound characteristic straight from photos or just from one setup detail. Although what I would suppose is: strings are begging for being replaced with new ones, bridge is very close to the soundpost (I imagine it will not be after the repair). Bass bar - according to attached photo - seems to be rather lower one. Overall it is quite nice example of Maggini copy amongst the vast of 'poor quality' ones and to me it clearly deserves to gain some TLC.

I must add that I have a really nice executed 'Landolfi' copy with even higher arched plates, armed with soft Dominants it sounds faaar from being harsh or shrill.

I'd give it a try.

Regards

JM

34 minutes ago, Rachell66 said:

Please help identify this violin and tell me if it is worth repairing quite a big crack.. 

1.Where and when would it have been made? 

2.Is it worth the repair?

3.The high arch.. Would it make the sound too harsh, nasal and shrill..? 

4.The botton ... Is it in the right place? Or too low? 

1. In the Markneukirchen area, 4th. quarter of the 19th century

2. Just about

3. I have been repairing violins much to long to tell anyone what a violin will sound like afterwards

4. I suppose it is at least at the right end

5 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

1. In the Markneukirchen area, 4th. quarter of the 19th century

2. Just about

3. I have been repairing violins much to long to tell anyone what a violin will sound like afterwards

4. I suppose it is at least at the right end

Is it a bad Marky? Or a better one? 

What else? This varnish style, the back.. Where would you typically see this? 

Just now, Rachell66 said:

When you say model? What's popular? I paid 200 dollars for it.. Was that wasted? 

How much work or cost is it to repair such a crack? 

"Maggini" model, but its not really a copy of a real Maggini. Go to EBAY and type in "maggini violin" and I'm sure you'll see several.  In my neck of the woods it would be more than a grand to have it properly repaired, and it would be hard to convince somebody to take it on.

I don't know why fiddlers like them, they just do, and often seek them out. They can certainly sound fine when set up right, often on the dark side. They can be a good buy when in good shape. 

Is the crack 

4 minutes ago, deans said:

"Maggini" model, but its not really a copy of a real Maggini. Go to EBAY and type in "maggini violin" and I'm sure you'll see several.  In my neck of the woods it would be more than a grand to have it properly repaired, and it would be hard to convince somebody to take it on.

I don't know why fiddlers like them, they just do, and often seek them out. They can certainly sound fine when set up right, often on the dark side. They can be a good buy when in good shape. 

To hard to take on because of the size of the crack? What is the difficulty in it? 

4 minutes ago, deans said:

That is the reason. Lower cost because classical players generally don't buy them, and they often have a darker tone. The LOB is also often over 360mm.

Personally, I like the double purfling look, but I have been told that classical players are more conservative and prefer the Cremona maker models.

Mark O'Conner played a Vuillaume Maggini model, and it has been said that they were essentially the same as Vuillaume's Guarneri model, but much less expensive

7 minutes ago, Rachell66 said:

Is the crack 

To hard to take on because of the size of the crack? What is the difficulty in 

Many luthiers have a lot if repair work on their plates, and prioritse work on better instruments and keeping students and players running. May be different elsewhere.

I am not an expert, unlike many respondents so far, but... Is that crack open, or is it just clumsily repaired?  If it's solid, then yeah, it was worth $200.  I would say that it was worth a decent set of strings and a set-up, though probably not worth opening up and redoing that repair.  Apparently it came to you sort-of set up--did it sound OK then?  Full disclosure, I play fiddle music, and if this has a fat, dark sound... you could do worse.

7 hours ago, Rachell66 said:

How much work or cost is it to repair such a crack? 

It can be a lot of work to redo cracks which have been poorly repaired previously, and have subsequently failed. Much more work, than a clean, fresh crack.

There is no simple answer to how much it would cost. A skilled restorer who could almost make that disappear, will charge multiple times what a ham fisted oaf, working from a shed would charge.

IMO the condition of the belly, especially the way it was destroyed by sanding and bad revarnishing, also the dreadful executed "repair" of the crack makes any repair uneconomical, especially for a private person. The cost of any proper repair would easily exceed the price for such a violin in an undamaged condition.

59 minutes ago, Blank face said:

IMO the condition of the belly, especially the way it was destroyed by sanding and bad revarnishing, also the dreadful executed "repair" of the crack makes any repair uneconomical, especially for a private person. The cost of any proper repair would easily exceed the price for such a violin in an undamaged condition.

You are right of course. The fact is, however, that it does belong to a private person, and if the crack isn’t open (can’t tell) one could leave it as it is, and just fit up the usual normal things. It is not as though one would have to market it afterwards

50 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

You are right of course. The fact is, however, that it does belong to a private person, and if the crack isn’t open (can’t tell) one could leave it as it is, and just fit up the usual normal things. It is not as though one would have to market it afterwards

Yes, if it's possible "leave as it is" would be the option to choose. It's just that the Op asked for a repair of the crack. The photos alone don't tell if it's stable enough or about other issues.

Uh, yes I left it as is... 

That is at the previous owners address. 

I liked the scroll, it is very pretty, the pegs fit.. The double purfling. 

I don't like getting a violin in such a state.. And I don't know what it sounds like. To play it with a crack that size.., I would at least want it fixed, to invest in that, not knowing what it sounds like... 

Ooooh how I wish I could do it myself!! 

I wish there would be lessons for that in my area, violin repair... Workshops..