1930s factory violin possibly French?

I have a violin with a 'Maidstone' label which is not typical of the type. I think it was probably made in the late 1930s and would have been a lower end factory instrument. (The Maidstone movement ended in 1941).

It has symetrical corner blocks 'proper' glued in bass bar and other features such as the flat scroll eyes and circular button that lead me to think that it is possibly French?

I wonder whether relations with Germany at the time may have led to the company to switch to other sources? I'm basically looking for any other opinions.

P1010377.JPG

IMG_20201217_094926989.jpg

IMG_20201217_094946420.jpg

IMG_20201217_095004884.jpg

P1010365.JPG

P1010369.JPG

P1010376.JPG

P1010372.JPG

P1010367.JPG

30 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

At first glance, I would suspect that it might be one of those French (JTL?) violins, with pressed plates

The plates are certainly on the thin side but the two piece back has cleats running at right angles to the join, along the full length.

Inside.jpg

32 minutes ago, Bob K said:

The plates are certainly on the thin side but the two piece back has cleats running at right angles to the join, along the full length.

Inside.jpg

That's not inconsistent with pressed plates, which were often done in 2 halves ...

This looks like a Mirecourt violin to me too - but many Maidstones are/were.

Thanks Martin - there was a link through to the 2013 thread on the 2019 thread so I have read Patrick Kriet's comments. All very interesting!

I think this pic of the top block showing the lack of platform and gap underneath pretty much seals it.

Evidence for pressed plate.jpg

2 hours ago, geoff1954 said:

If you intend selling it, don't mention the Maidstone label!

Thanks, Geoff. I actually acquired it on behalf of a friend on a very tight budget as a possible first full size for her Grandaughter. If she doesn't like it, it will go to a shop where it can be judged on its own merits (or lack thereof).