Maestronet Forums

Two of my violas observing human social distance...

MANFIO

31 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

The mask should be put on better, the breathing F holes must be completely covered!!:lol:

Ancor peggior, le viole scapparono e andarono al bordello cantando

"A casa d'Irene si canta si ride
C'e gente che viene, c'e gente che va
A casa d'irene bottiglie di vino
A casa d'irene stasera si va"

Lol... :P

I'm 50/50.

Distance in km, unless I'm giving directions on the mile roads. Temperature in celsius, unless I'm baking. Cooking - both. Depends on the recipe. Weight and height in lbs and inches. I have no idea how tall I am in cm! Other measures also depends. Work measurements in metric, DIY building projects in inches...

6 hours ago, Rue said:

Lol... :P

I'm 50/50.

Distance in km, unless I'm giving directions on the mile roads. Temperature in celsius, unless I'm baking. Cooking - both. Depends on the recipe. Weight and height in lbs and inches. I have no idea how tall I am in cm! Other measures also depends. Work measurements in metric, DIY building projects in inches...

It is interesting that celli and violins are discussed in metric,  but the violas are still in the Imperial realm.... 

not to mention grains, pinches, cubits, truckloads, etc.   :lol:

my old boss used to measure a 8x8s using, for example 16-3-7, which I understand comes from boatbuilding

he always got confused doing Pythagorean theorem in imperial so we'd switch to metric but when you're trying to deal with √ several hundred cm it sure becomes confusing quick. Especially when calculating it out in the mud using an early 2000s flip phone:rolleyes:

I always am amused at baby announcements.  Babies are announced in order of gender, weight and length.

Length of a baby has always been totally meaningless to me.  What's the point?  Babies never lay stretched out, they're always folded up.  So what difference does it make if they're stringy or squat?

Weight, in pounds and ounces, I know exactly what that means.  If you have a 6 lb, 3 oz baby or a 6 lb, 5 oz baby, I can feel the virtual difference!  But when you tell me your baby weighs 2.8 kg all I do is roughly compare it to the size of a roast...

5 hours ago, Dave Slight said:

It could depend where you are in the world. I deal regularly with a large college, which has a lot of international students.
Those students don’t understand inches, and I now refer to violas in cm. It’s easier all round.

For many years the late Michael Tree (Guarneri Quartet) was my viola mentor. In the beginning, it was hard to figure out what was a 17-inch viola....

6 hours ago, MANFIO said:

For many years the late Michael Tree (Guarneri Quartet) was my viola mentor. In the beginning, it was hard to figure out what was a 17-inch viola....

Not for me. Michael Tree owned and performed on one of my 17" violas (although my boss had to throw in a toaster oven or somethin' to make the deal go through :D), and he always referred to it as a 17 inch.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:07 AM, martin swan said:

Is it ever possible to get a safe distance away from a viola?

And some say Martin had no sense of humor....lulz

Those masks - 3M with no vents - are still hard to get in the states, and Manfio has two! 

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Not for me. Michael Tree owned and performed on one of my 17" violas (although my boss had to throw in a toaster oven or somethin' to make the deal go through :D), and he always referred to it as a 17 inch.

Mike told me that story.  He said the varnish wasn't dry and, your boss who was running around in frantic desperation put a toaster oven in his arms with the viola

14 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Walmart had them with the woodworking supplies, in the before time.  Today it's an add-in on the order of a toaster oven.

Yup, and I kick myself every time I go past a Walmart because I would always walk right by the mask display and think that the one I had left was enough! Home Boy Club also had them, in the "before time."