15k on a Hopf need expert opinion

Hi everyone,

I've been researching and recently picked up this Hopf violin for 15k. It has "HOPF" stamped on the back of it and the inside says it is repaired 1957. With a HOPF marking. 

The sound is mellow and sweet, and the tuners are a fine tuner system. 

Please help me out as to the actual value. Although I like the sound, I am afraid I could have gotten better bang for the buck on other violins.

15k is not a small amount, so I sincerely appreciate any courteous opinion on this.

Thanks!

IMG_20210124_192526.jpg

IMG_20210124_192633.jpg

IMG_20210124_192618.jpg

IMG_20210124_192610.jpg

IMG_20210124_192526.jpg

IMG_20210124_192529.jpg

Well, this violin is a cheap product of cottage industry. 

When discussing Hopf, I have a question to all of you. As a young boy I greatly admired sound of Hopf violin  that was in possesion of some violin teacher. It was declared as a master violin. 

How valuable was the best Hopf violin you ever saw?

The Hopf matter was exhausively discussed before (s.below), and reading through it the OP might learn that his violin is one of the massproduced examples with a wholesaler/dealer's Hopf brand on the back from the 2nd half of the 19th century. Beside that I'm doubting that there are many older single made "real" Hopf family violins out there one could expect seriously to fetch a 5 digit sum in Euro, GBP or US $$.

Hi everyone,

I greatly appreciate all your feedback and, being highly shocked and uncomfortable myself after hearing all your thoughts, I was able to get my money back today fortunately.

The seller is a friend of a friend, I do not believe he has bad intentions but he seems to be left in a state of denial upon hearing the objective value of this fiddle.

Anyway, I will be investing this money much more cautiously and patiently for my next violin.

May I ask:

1) How do you normally select a violin, what is the process?

2) The violin I picked up yesterday sounded okay, it had nice projection and a round warm sound hence I assumed it had value. I guess that is not the full picture.What are some truly vital attributes to look for in a violin that I neglected?

3) Are there any recommended sellers on here/ reputable ebay sellers/ online merchants/ physical shops or other sources that you recommend?

Sorry for the long reply, but I cannot feel thankful enough to all of you, since I am nearing my 20s and I would appreciate the companionship of a good violin for life. 

Daniel

"but what about it made you think it was off?"

Simple! Real HOPFs were not branded, and from your limited photos, the construction appears to be typical of the Marnkeukirchen area instruments from around 1900. There were literally tens of thousands of these made. You should do a search of HOPF violins on Ebay.

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/violins/hopf

34 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

"but what about it made you think it was off?"

Simple! Real HOPFs were not branded, and from your limited photos, the construction appears to be typical of the Marnkeukirchen area instruments from around 1900. There were literally tens of thousands of these made.

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/violins/hopf

Sorry to say, but almost all of this, especially in the linked essay, is totally wrong (except about the OP violin) and referring to outdated misinformations. I linked the thread where it was disccussed, containing all the efforts made by researchers like Zoebisch or Seidl, including photos and all about myths like the fabulous forefathers and featuring enough branded "Real" Hopfs, different models used by this family etc.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, bbmpiano said:

Hi everyone,

I've been researching and recently picked up this Hopf violin for 15k. It has "HOPF" stamped on the back of it and the inside says it is repaired 1957. With a HOPF marking. 

The sound is mellow and sweet, and the tuners are a fine tuner system. 

Please help me out as to the actual value. Although I like the sound, I am afraid I could have gotten better bang for the buck on other violins.

15k is not a small amount, so I sincerely appreciate any courteous opinion on this.

22 hours ago, bbmpiano said:

usd

19 hours ago, bbmpiano said:

It was.

Thanks for everyone's help, but what about it made you think it was off? Just so i could negotiate with the seller with objective facts.

I'm not really clear on what is going on here, have you bought this or not?

If you haven't bought it yet, DO NOT BUY IT! The price is totally ridiculous.

If you have bought it, I'm not sure why you would even think of trying to negotiate a new price. You should set about recovering your money as soon as possible.

So what is the real story here? headscratch.gif.72b1da0ed95042e245c2b97ce6de1a7f.gif

28 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I'm not really clear on what is going on here, have you bought this or not?

If you haven't bought it yet, DO NOT BUY IT! The price is totally ridiculous.

If you have bought it, I'm not sure why you would even think of trying to negotiate a new price. You should set about recovering your money as soon as possible.

So what is the real story here? headscratch.gif.72b1da0ed95042e245c2b97ce6de1a7f.gif

Yes i actually bought it for 15k. when i said negotiate, I meant in the case of him not willing to refund upon confrontation which is not the case

16 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

The instrument might be worth $1000 tops in excellent condition, whoever charged $15,000 if this is true, should be locked up for criminal embezzlement

Take for example a violin shop or well established seller, what is the typical profit margin?