On ebay - reputable sellers(?)

Rehek

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

not recomended

Well then, how do you suggest I learn violin restoration if I never do anything? 

My idea: I have two bad Dutzendarbeit violins. I want to learn better bridge cutting. Peg fitting. Different repairs on cheap crappy violins. Like that Maggini with the crack. I almost bought it for £170, but I thought first let me not spend anymore on violins. I have got what to play with. One member of this forum advised me of places where there are good knives and tools. 

Due to circumstances I can't go to any professional schooling, not for the next 7 years at least so... I'm veeeeery limited. I have got plenty of time to learn from YouTube, good books and plenty of trial and error. I would like to even open up the violin, learn the measurements, try varnishing. All on a crappy violin. 

One time I was sitting for 3 hours just cutting a bridge with a kitchen knife and sanding it down with sandpaper, and sanding down a peg... Silly but I loved sitting over a table and doing it. I cleaned the violin with linseed oil with a rag.. I love the thought of a violin sitting up in somebody's attic, and me restoring it and blowing some life and music into it. I wwwwwish!

I wouldn't dare touch a violin that has any value. That would be morally incorrect. But I dare go and put any spare time in something that I have a very strong passion for. Just start learning.. 

Any suggestions, websites, books, starter tools, YouTube channels.. Would be appreciated

11 minutes ago, Rachell66 said:

Any suggestions, websites, books, starter tools, YouTube channels.. Would be appreciated

I paid a gas fitter to come and fix my boiler the day before yesterday. I guess I could fix it myself, but I don’t want my house to blow up. You could ask Wood Butcher if he would take you as an apprentice:)

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I paid a gas fitter to come and fix my boiler the day before yesterday. I guess I could fix it myself, but I don’t want my house to blow up. You could ask Wood Butcher if he would take you as an apprentice:)

I wouldn't tinker with my violin that I play, or anyone else's at this point. Only I violin I paid nothing for.

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

There are two schools of thought:

1. Go ahead, self-teach and DIY 

Or...

2. Would you want to have your brain tumor removed by someone who watched a YouTube video?

^_^

Will you look after my kids, pay for my tuition, and do my job that pays for my bills,.. So I can learn and pick at your brain? 

29 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Does this mean a reciprocal arrangement, where Duffers Edge becomes your apprentice?