Adult learner, Jesu Joy, working on vibrato

I posted another recording a little while ago, but wanted to share this one as well.  At my first lesson of 2021 I asked my teacher for two things to focus on this year, the start of my 5th year playing.

She told me vibrato and more complete use of the bow is what she'd like to see from me.

If you choose to listen, you'll hear a very tentative and immature vibrato.  But, my teacher has said she's happy with the mechanics I'm using.

I love this piece.  I had it played at our wedding.  My wife isn't a Classical fan so I got to pick all the music.

Feedback and constructive criticism is always appreciated.  

I'm a non musician, but maybe I can start thinking of myself as an enthusiastic player?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14mRfMWh3a0PjQgJDn_bIRSwG65CHy6bJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Hello!

First, this is so brave of you to post as an adult learner.  Applause, applause!

Second, remember that this is Bach.  Debates about use of vibrato in Bach aside, most will agree that Bach does not require a robust vibrato.  I personally feel that you sounded great.  If there is any suggestion that I could give on your vibrato, as it relates to this piece, it would be to sustain the vibrato through the end of the note.  Your vibrato sounds like they appear in short bursts relative to the length of the note.

Third, of course you are a "musician!" Musicians come in all different skill levels.  

Keep up the hard work and enjoy!

That was excellent!  You sounded really good.  Timing was great!

I agree that you don't worry about vibrato in Bach, but if playing solo, adding a wee bit to the long notes will sound better as a performance choice.

3 hours ago, outofnames said:

I posted another recording a little while ago, but wanted to share this one as well.  At my first lesson of 2021 I asked my teacher for two things to focus on this year, the start of my 5th year playing.

She told me vibrato and more complete use of the bow is what she'd like to see from me.

If you choose to listen, you'll hear a very tentative and immature vibrato.  But, my teacher has said she's happy with the mechanics I'm using.

I love this piece.  I had it played at my wedding.  My wife isn't a Classical fan so I got to pick all the music.

Feedback and constructive criticism is always appreciated.  

I'm a non musician, but maybe I can start thinking of myself as an enthusiastic player?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14mRfMWh3a0PjQgJDn_bIRSwG65CHy6bJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Very nice recording.  Only criticisms that I have are that it sounds like you're, not surprisingly, still working on your bow changes, and that if you download Audacity to record with, you could get MP3's out, as well as subtract the background noise.

Of course you're a musician!  You'd certainly be welcome in the church orchestra that I play in regularly.  :)

Intonation was pretty good and the tone was fairly consistent.

Two things I would suggest are:

1. Practice the piece with a metronome. The tempo drifted at times.

2. Learn to put more "space" between detached notes. This includes the last note of a slurred group and the next note where a bow change occurs. One way to practice this is to play the last note of a slurred group as "staccato", or a series of detached notes as all staccato, then gradually lengthen their duration until you are happy with the sound.