Eagle Brand - Anyone recognize?

43 minutes ago, NVG Cellist said:

I was wondering if it is a Prussian eagle?

Because of my own name I made once an internet search on  'prussian eagle'. It seems that in heraldic terms there is a difference between open wings and a sort of standing wings. All pictures of a prussian eagle I found had standing wings. Besides that the eagle was holding a scepter and an imperial orb in its claws. (could have been omited on a brand that size.)

2 hours ago, NVG Cellist said:

Anyone recognize this brand? Many thanks

I was wondering if this wasn't the attempt to transform a medio fino type cello with a scratched purfling into a Carlo Antonio Testore who often used an eagle brand (completeley different though) Then, presumably this was done before picture informaton could easily be exchanged.

50 minutes ago, NVG Cellist said:

I was wondering if it is a Prussian eagle?

No, it's not any of the common European heraldic eagles, or military spread eagle logos.  The scalloped or stepped upper wing margin makes it an odd duck indeed (:lol:), as most such logos have a straight, or else a rising, upper wing margin.  :)

Thank you for the replies. I will start another topic with pictures of the cello, perhaps they will jog someone's memory. I'm pretty sure it is Marknuekirchen but it is perhaps a bit unusual because of the branding and the pins on the back. Regards.

Found this reference. Could they also have branded a cello? :o :

"The old Masters took pride in their work, putting labels in their instruments and sometimes even branding them. The Testore family often branded their violins on the back, using a design consisting of a crown with a double-headed eagle. Their workshop had the name Al segno dell- aguila, "at the sign of the eagle," which was also displayed outside above the shop entrance." 

http://www.cello.org/masters/testore.htm

Given that the eagle stamp is a logo rather than a heraldic eagle, I took a look through here, and came up dry.  Bottom line, the stepped upper margin isn't popular in eagle logos.  IMHO, someone will have to stumble on it.  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Given that the eagle stamp is a logo rather than a heraldic eagle, I took a look through here, and came up dry.  Bottom line, the stepped upper margin isn't popular in eagle logos.  IMHO, someone will have to stumble on it.  :)

Thanks VDA, that is some deep research