Not a Pierray... But what exactly is this?

Yes this is a Didier Nicolas or similar - a trade Mirecourt violin from 1830 ish as Jacob says. 

Generally these are rather oversized and I wouldn't be at all surprised if our friend in the South has measured it with his normalizing tape measure.

The nasty pitting is recent and helps to cover unsightly crack repairs - I see various cracks in the table along with the gammy button repair.

19 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Yes this is a Didier Nicolas or similar - a trade Mirecourt violin from 1830 ish as Jacob says. 

We should perhaps point out to WC; that there was a whole crowd of makers there that made fiddles that looked like that. I am at a loss to think how one could put definitive names to each of them, unless perhaps they have an authentic label or (often) a stamp(s). Even with the stamped ones, one hardly knows if the stamp refers to a maker or a dealer, so one should make do with just saying “Mirecourt” and the time period.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for my absence in the past two weeks, as work really occupied most of my time... I just want to say thank you to Martin and Jacob and fiddlecollector! Learning from you guys everyday!