Recognize the name? Very hard to read..

3 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

In sunny socal, it hit 72 F. here, and is now 57 F.  Do we win an award? ;-o)

Jacob, you are welcome here, any time, post COVID. We are still on lock down, with near 0% ICU capacity. :-( 

Thank-you, that’s very kind of you. Don’t worry, I’m perfectly happy just where I am, and that nice gentleman, Mr. Putin sends us plenty of natural gas. I will plant tomatoes some time in May

13 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Yes I see it is looks from here like a three piece cap missing the outer ring. It might be clearer if I weren’t using my phone.

on second thought it looks like a one piece button with an odd wooden cap?

It's a typical MK student grade bow with a wooden capped adjuster

42 minutes ago, martin swan said:

It's a typical MK student grade bow with a wooden capped adjuster

Thank you, I have seen those before. It was difficult to see on my phone, but a bit more clear on the iPad. Another arrow in the quiver, thank you.

HOWEVER, The admonition to check the bow remains a good one.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Thank you, I have seen those before. It was difficult to see on my phone, but a bit more clear on the iPad. Another arrow in the quiver, thank you.

HOWEVER, The admonition to check the bow remains a good one.

I think everyone checks the bow - the problem is more as Blank Face suggested, that dodgy broken or composite bows are put into cases in order to sell even dodgier violins.

Having said that, at the very beginning of my violin dealing days I got a free Henry with a 200 euro Mirecourt violin. Nothing like that has ever happened since, though I regularly hear of people getting lucky with instruments.

What I've seen kind mirrors Martin's observation. When it comes to violins a blind squirrel will occasionally find his nut, but bows are much rarer.  More often I think that people often skimped on the bow, didnt have enough money, maybe thinking they would upgrade later but never did. 

I think there's an antiques roadshow segment where they found a good bow (I think Hill) travelling around with a junk violin.

Quoting Martin: "Having said that, at the very beginning of my violin dealing days I got a free Henry with a 200 euro Mirecourt violin."Happened to me too, a nice Henry bow with a somewhat decent but unremarkable violin. I don't hold my breath waiting for it to happen again though.

1 hour ago, stringcheese said:

Quoting Martin: "Having said that, at the very beginning of my violin dealing days I got a free Henry with a 200 euro Mirecourt violin."Happened to me too, a nice Henry bow with a somewhat decent but unremarkable violin. I don't hold my breath waiting for it to happen again though.

We should form a club - though I don't think there would be a big membership ...

When this happened to me I was so clueless, I thought it looked a bit tatty and hung it on a nail in the workshop for about 6 months. Eventually I showed it to a knowledgeable friend who had a kind of seizure cos he was so excited. That was really the beginning of my fascination with bows - to think that I had simply no idea what it was! I might even have thrown it out if it hadn't had a bit of silver on it.

1 hour ago, deans said:

What I've seen kind mirrors Martin's observation. When it comes to violins a blind squirrel will occasionally find his nut, but bows are much rarer.  More often I think that people often skimped on the bow, didnt have enough money, maybe thinking they would upgrade later but never did. 

I think there's an antiques roadshow segment where they found a good bow (I think Hill) travelling around with a junk violin.

I remember a Dodd being found with a junk violin. Kerry Keane was the expert, and it was a fun Interview.

He was slamming the violin and the girl said,” how would it sound if I got it restored.”

and he answered ,”Pretty Awful....BUT.”

And then he gave her the good news about the bow.

16 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

He was slamming the violin and the girl said,” how would it sound if I got it restored.”

Was her name Violadamore, accidentally?^_^

Sounds a bit like scripted reality, i.e. a made up story to me.

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

Was her name Violadamore, accidentally?^_^

Sounds a bit like scripted reality, i.e. a made up story to me.

No that was a real scene on Antiques Roadshow. Many years ago, a friend of mine and I won tickets to attend the antiques roadshow, and to the best of my knowledge, all the things that are actually on TV are not scripted they are quite real. You could probably look up the specific scene with Kerry Keane.

I don’t remember them giving a close-up of the bow, however, I wish they had. And he only valued it at $8000 which Sounds low.

Edited by PhilipKT
46 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

that was a real scene on Antiques Roadshow. Many years ago, a friend of mine and I won tickets to attend the antiques roadshow, and to the best of my knowledge, all the things that are actually on TV are not scripted they are quite real.

Prices for Dodds are somehow going up and down through the time. A few years ago they were sold rather cheap at auctions, especially with the banned ivory mounts, actually the pricing seems to rise more close to the French equivalents.

These shows are usually presented in a very professional way, often with actors, so that the unprepared public isn’t aware that it is just a show and not with real persons (mind I’m not talking about presidents :ph34r:).

10 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Prices for Dodds are somehow going up and down through the time. A few years ago they were sold rather cheap at auctions, especially with the banned ivory mounts, actually the pricing seems to rise more close to the French equivalents.

These shows are usually presented in a very professional way, often with actors, so that the unprepared public isn’t aware that it is just a show and not with real persons (mind I’m not talking about presidents :ph34r:).

When my friend and I were there, there were 750 or so people in line with various kinds of objects to be appraised. Once you show up they give you a tag based on the category your item is in and you go inside the main area and stand in line in your category, and when it’s your turn the guy gives you 20 or 30 seconds to tell you about your widget, and if it’s interesting he asks you to wait while he consults other people or His research material. I suppose it is possible that they have some ringers here and there, but I didn’t see anything that indicated that to be the case. You’ve piqued my interest though, I’m going to see if I can find that little clip and share it here.

I went to a Roadshow here in 2012, and brought all of my Native American jewelry.  The setup is exactly how PhillipKT described.  I saw a guy in line in front of me with a huge and very old bear claw squash blossom necklace. It was clearly made for an important individual, not a tourist item, and I complimented him on it.  Later when I went to the antique jewelry line to see about my ring, I passed by where they filmed the TV segments.  That same guy was there about to get filmed with the necklace.  I'd have to look at the archives but I think he made it on the show.   I, however, did not :lol:

They have had a lot of violins featured and many of well known dealers/appraisers have participated. I imagine that a given location will have several dozen violins walk in, of course with the majority being "the usual".