Is this violin anything interesting?

I have a violin I'm thinking of setting up for myself to play and wanted to make sure it isn't anything valuable before I do. It looks somewhere around 200 years old but I'm guessing it would only be in the mid hundreds at auction and in the very low thousands retail, in which case I don't mind working on it for myself. I have one set up for fiddle music but I'd like this set up for classical.

I'm happy to add other pictures if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

back small (1).jpg

front small.jpg

pegbox small.jpg

Side small.jpg

Better pics are needed for sure but to me it looks like an early 19th century Saxon fiddle. Not a good choice for DIY work since many people are interested in these things even if they arent particularly valuable. Looks like all it might need is a good set up, assuming all the repairs are holding up.

I don't know how I've never seen that post about photographing violins, thank you!

There a many repairs but they seem to be holding up ok, I wouldn't be doing any work on the violin, only setup including bridge and end pin. The pegs feel ok, for my needs at least.

back.jpg

bass side.jpg

end pin.jpg

f holes and c bouts.jpg

front.jpg

neck and scroll back.jpg

pegbox and scroll front.jpg

pegbox bass side.jpg

treble c bout.jpg

treble ribs and corners.jpg

treble side scroll and pegbox.jpg

treble side.jpg

I agree that it is a Saxon fiddle, early to mid 19th. C, quite a nice one. I would hate to comment on what you could do with it, since I have no idea who you are, but I can see no harm in your making a bridge/post if you feel able too

25 minutes ago, glebert said:

Is it just me or does the fingboard look skewed a bit to the treble side? 

Yes, it does look slightly that way.

18 minutes ago, deans said:

I might think the scroll is later than the rest of the instrument.

Interesting! 

51 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I agree that it is a Saxon fiddle, early to mid 19th. C, quite a nice one. I would hate to comment on what you could do with it, since I have no idea who you are, but I can see no harm in your making a bridge/post if you feel able too

Fair enough, thank you.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

What do you see as typical Saxon elements? Is the prufling in any way typical for a Saxon?

33 minutes ago, uguntde said:

What do you see as typical Saxon elements? Is the prufling in any way typical for a Saxon?

Almost all violins have purfling. In this case I find the f-holes recognisably Saxon, as is the building method. I also agree with others that the scroll seems to be later.

I think I'll set it up for myself, not worth it for me to sell and I'd rather play on something with age. It doesn't really matter how it sounds because I'm the only one that will ever hear it. Well, me and my dog who howls every time I play.

4 minutes ago, mrfiddle said:

... I'm the only one that will ever hear it. Well, me and my dog who howls every time I play.

Every one's a critic, eh?

Let us know how you like it, when you've set it up. :)

9 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Was it as rude as the one with the sheep?

Possibly. Depends on your frame of reference.

I actually inherited both the sheep and the bicycle from the workshop which preceded mine. Love them wild and crazy and creative folks in the Violin Making Workshop. :)