On 1/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, PhilipKT said:

would that work? If the top isn’t completely on, the sound won’t be representative?

I don't see why not.  I've seen makers on this forum mention tacking the top on loosely so they could do adjustments or whatever.  I think the idea is to use weak glue.  I can easily think that it's good enough for temporary use.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I chatted with the luthier today, and he said that he had discovered that the graduation underneath the Bridge area was a little thick, at 6.5, and he said that that thickness Explained the slightly short bass bar. He laughed and said that if it were him, he would’ve just made it the normal thickness and then had a normal base bar. He could not think of a reason for the thicker graduation, except that might be just how they liked it to make their stuff.

Edited by PhilipKT
32 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

He could not think of a reason for the thicker graduation, except that might be just how they liked it to make their stuff.

I've often heard that instruments bound for America from Germany were built to withstand the trip. I'm not sure how true this is but many luthiers made a big part of their living re-graduating and re-barring trade instruments, usually with good results.

23 minutes ago, deans said:

I've often heard that instruments bound for America from Germany were built to withstand the trip. I'm not sure how true this is but many luthiers made a big part of their living re-graduating and re-barring trade instruments, usually with good results.

That’s very interesting, thank you. I’ll report on the sound when it is ready

1 hour ago, deans said:

I've often heard that too, but I think that story was more a justification for re-graduating these instruments, trying to imply that it was part of the master plan, which would sound much better than saying that these instruments were made in such a way that they needed to be improved.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update:

I decided to not replace the bass bar, And it just picked up the fully restored instrument. It sounds really outstanding.

The C string sounds excellent, and I guess the bass bar was well chosen for the wood, Though my luthier friend still thinks it would’ve sounded better with a different bar.

I am happy.

Edited by PhilipKT