Maestronet Forums

Small saddle crack

germain

One of my violins has an old tiny saddle crack not caused by the saddle as it is a pretty loose fit. I’ve been told in the past not to worry about it but after I looked at it today it seems like it has gotten a little bit bigger. Any advice on how that should be handled before it becomes a bigger problem? 

8A5CF5C4-95D6-4247-BCF4-F2359324517E.jpeg

CE5F9111-AAE0-492D-9053-F7707AC649B7.jpeg

64881A43-0DAD-4837-A21C-DDF9AD837A93.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Open the top/rib seam from the saddle to the lower corner.  Work some hot glue into the crack if you can, but with such a small tight crack you might not be able to get any glue into it.  Reglue the seam the next day.

Thank you. I also think it should be glued at this point. I'll bring it to a pro. I hope they can get some glue in there...

You should also address the cause of the crack. In dry weather, the winter the top will shrink transversely more than the ebony saddle resulting in the saddle pushing at the ends outward. This causes the top to crack at the location here. The saddle needs to be free at the ends with no glue and a space there on both sides about a business card width. Make sure this is do when finished repairing the crack.

Personally, for a crack that small, I would recommend "watchful waiting." Take some pictures with a ruler next to it, and see if it really is growing over time. If it isn't growing, let it be.

Repairs always involve risk, particularly when you have to open a seam. In this case, if it is growing and you need to glue it, it really won't make any difference if it is a few mm longer than it is now. 

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Personally, for a crack that small, I would recommend "watchful waiting." Take some pictures with a ruler next to it, and see if it really is growing over time. If it isn't growing, let it be.

Repairs always involve risk, particularly when you have to open a seam. In this case, if it is growing and you need to glue it, it really won't make any difference if it is a few mm longer than it is now. 

Agree, but do press some thin hot hide glue into the split with the pressure of a rubber tipped syringe ... discussed in a previous thread. ... and monitor. 

... Page 5 Dec 11

On 1/1/2021 at 4:17 PM, GoPractice said:

If you are willing to share, how did the shop view the crack?

I have had a few modern instruments with these cracks but more to do with "over ther tailpiece" chinrests. The repair work can be deceptively difficult.

I am not sure as I was not present. I am assuming endoscope or a mirror tool of some sort

On 12/31/2020 at 2:23 PM, germain said:

I just had it looked by my luthier. The crack is completely intact and not showing at all from the inside. We’ll do some minor retouching  and watch it 

If the retouching material goes into the crack (that's presumably likely if the goal of the retouching is to hide the crack), won't that make it harder to glue the crack well in the future if it becomes necessary to do so?  Just asking, any opinions on that?