Maestronet Forums

To become an appraiser?

What should I do to become an appraiser?

Hello :)

I am currently a student at Stradivari School in Cremona, Italy.

I want to be a violin appraiser, but I don't have enough information, so I left this question.

After graduating from school, I want to work as a violin appraiser in the distant future while working as a repair and restoration worker to get experience.

My current plan is to work in the UK or the United States after graduation(I'm Korean), and during my working experience as a repair and restorationist, I would like to study individually, get experience in many musical instruments, and work as an appraiser in earnest if I have a lot of experience in the distant future.

But is this the ideal idea?

Because of the distinct characteristic of appraisal, I also think it would be better to work with famous appraisers or learn from them after graduation, but I'm worried that it won't be easy..

How should I orient myself to become an appraiser, and build up my career?

Please give me some advice.

Ps. If there is any book that can help about study of appraisal, please recommend it :)

Most successful appraisers have handled tens of thousands of instruments or more, and are able to memorize fine detail which others might not, and have the ability to remember this at the appropriate moment. Some have a large stock of comparison examples, along with huge files of notes, photographs etc.

Really it is a lifelong pursuit, as the current top tier of appraisal experts have spent a lifetime around some of the finest instruments and bows in existence. I don't think there is any fast track method, otherwise we would all do it.

11 hours ago, Sihyeon Park said:

What should I do to become an appraiser?

Hello :)

I am currently a student at Stradivari School in Cremona, Italy.

I want to be a violin appraiser, but I don't have enough information, so I left this question.

After graduating from school, I want to work as a violin appraiser in the distant future while working as a repair and restoration worker to get experience.

My current plan is to work in the UK or the United States after graduation(I'm Korean), and during my working experience as a repair and restorationist, I would like to study individually, get experience in many musical instruments, and work as an appraiser in earnest if I have a lot of experience in the distant future.

But is this the ideal idea?

Because of the distinct characteristic of appraisal, I also think it would be better to work with famous appraisers or learn from them after graduation, but I'm worried that it won't be easy..

How should I orient myself to become an appraiser, and build up my career?

Please give me some advice.

Ps. If there is any book that can help about study of appraisal, please recommend it :)

You've taken on a very hard road to hoe. It might be worthwhile tracking down Jeong Woon Choi, who is also native Korean, a graduate of the Mittenwald school, currently employed in the UK, who has pretty good experience with all the facets of the fiddle world.

I would suspect that you would be looking out about 20 years into the future to reach that appraiser goal. I once asked Hans J. Nebel what the best way was to really learn to identify instruments, (books, etc.). I'm 10 years younger than he is. He replied that I would need to get into a time machine, go back about 50 years, and work in a very large violin shop, where I could handle, and work on, thousands of different instruments, under a very knowledgeable master (he worked under Sacconi in the Wurlitzer shop).

So, good luck with your goal. You're young enough to actually have a chance of pulling it off.