Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Evah P. Green vs.... Everything Else


Flattmountain
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, milkpowder said:

Let us know how you get on with the Amber. Im curious as well. My impression, playing on a violin that is more mellow/sweet than bright (1830s Fendt), is that as long the strings have a quick response - good/appropriate rosin and condition of bow hair helps - it doesn't matter if the strings are on the warm or bright side. Clarity is more important. I've switched from Evah Pirazzi to Peter Infeld (P100 set) after 15+ years using the former. The PI has a more complex tone to my ears. I've also used the EP Gold which was pretty good, but neither the PI or EP Gold are cheap, although I've just scored three sets of PI (P100) for $90 as prices have come down recently.

For a little less, Larsen seem to be a viable alternative. I've only used the Tzigane once but it was too long ago to recall.

I might post audio ;) we'll see if I can figure that out.

 I did consider pi as well... Maybe I'll try them one day. The only reason I might be worried about warm and bright, is my violin is naturally dark and murky :ph34r:, and I don't know how it will perform under any other string.

I am a big fan of Larsen's rosin, but I haven't tried any of their other products 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, Flattmountain said:

I might post audio ;) we'll see if I can figure that out.

 I did consider pi as well... Maybe I'll try them one day. The only reason I might be worried about warm and bright, is my violin is naturally dark and murky :ph34r:, and I don't know how it will perform under any other string.

I am a big fan of Larsen's rosin, but I haven't tried any of their other products 

By the way did you manage to get the Amber at some deep discount? At least in the UK it is priced just as much as a set of EP and therefore only marginally less than EP Gold/PI/name your 'premium' string set here. I thought you were looking for a cheap set :P. Did you get the Amber E as well? It sure has an interesting solution to whistling.

What I like a lot about the PIs is the fact that they have quite a complex tone, which when I first put them on, tricked my ears into thinking it was a warm set of strings - a bit like Dominants on steroids. Actually, they are a little on the bright side, but because of the complexity/overtones gives the sound some sweetness. The platinum E is a good compromise between the round, brilliant, soaring sound associated with a gold E (e.g. Oliv E) and the sweeter/grainy sound from a (tin plated/silvery) steel E. String tension ~23kg works well on my violin. All in all a great set of strings and IMHO better than the standard EPs, which after so many years I have found to have a relatively unintersting sound. They are very bright, powerful and responsive though, but I only play for myself these days so don't have to cut through an orchestra or ensure the very last row can hear me. For that reason I also rate the EP Gold (silver G) very highly - all the benefits of the standard EP but with a more sophisticated tone, especially in the lower registers. The stainless E is just fine, too.

Truth to be told, I think a lot of people (me included) have become a bit obsessed by these premium-priced strings. I'm a bit curious how I might feel going back to a set of Dominants or Tonicas (which I've yet to try). I'm willing to bet that my initial impression will be underwhelming, but initial impressions are usually highly unrepresentative of long term performance as strings (and brain!) settle in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thomastik PI will last longer and will sound close to the Evah Green. I personally prefer Evah Gold. We had a discussion here not too long ago about Thomastik "Rondo" that are supposed to be amazing but are not available to the public. Luthier shops only.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 2:44 AM, germain said:

Thomastik PI will last longer and will sound close to the Evah Green. I personally prefer Evah Gold. We had a discussion here not too long ago about Thomastik "Rondo" that are supposed to be amazing but are not available to the public. Luthier shops only.  

In the UK at least, Rondos are available from the major online sellers of strings and you can even get them from Amazon. But they're one of the more expensive string sets here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I don't like in Peter Infeld, Titanium Solo, probably many Thomastik strings other than Dominant, I don't know if Rondos are the same... is that the string thickness is not by order. Like the G string is thinner than the D string, and all the strings are relatively thin. That is making me switch my preference to Pirastro. I'm trying EP Golds and I like them more. They're also lower tension than Rondos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, David27 said:

They're also lower tension than Rondos.

Strange, from a players perspective I have the opposite opinion.  Evah P felt like wires, Rondos are like butter.  Perhaps an exaggeration, but I like the feel and sound of Rondo strings a lot.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, violinsRus said:

Strange, from a players perspective I have the opposite opinion.  Evah P felt like wires, Rondos are like butter.  Perhaps an exaggeration, but I like the feel and sound of Rondo strings a lot.  

Yeah, I've noticed that there's the misconception around the online community that Rondos are lower tension strings. Check the kg data on their official websites. I'm talking about Evah Pirazzi Gold, not Evah Pirazzi.

 

Evah Pirazzi Gold:

G Gold: 4.8 kg | G Silver: 4.9 kg

D: 4.7 kg

A: 5.5 kg

E: 8.0 kg

 

Rondo:

G: 4.8 kg

D: 4.8 kg

A aluminum: 5.7 kg | A chrome: 6.0 kg

E: 8.2 kg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, milkpowder said:

By the way did you manage to get the Amber at some deep discount? At least in the UK it is priced just as much as a set of EP and therefore only marginally less than EP Gold/PI/name your 'premium' string set here. I thought you were looking for a cheap set :P. Did you get the Amber E as well? It sure has an interesting solution to whistling.

I was willing to sacrifice 56 dollars for these lol, as opposed to 96. That seems to be the going price for them over here, they were well worth it too... I ordered them from Johnsonstrings.

I did get the E, and was very intrigued by it. I don't seem to have any awkward tonal difference from any of the four strings and, all in all, I am quite satisfied :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...