Violin Quality

So, I can typically tell a good violin when I see one,

this definitely isn’t the best haha.

I am, however, trying to get a violin fairly soon for a friend (as a birthday gift), and have been having quite a hard time finding stuff within my price range. They are no pro so getting the best of the best isnt really in my concern.

All of that aside, does this look too, too horribly awful? It would be under 200$. Pretty sure it’s a Czechoslovakian Strad copy from mid to early 1900’s.

Thanks ! And merry Christmas! 

B1E14CFB-4FC0-4E3C-B700-0DF6A247E978.jpeg

01971614-8E20-49E3-8B6A-5F84AF9717D6.jpeg

ED7DD2F4-662B-4BB1-99C5-C8141039888E.jpeg

AB250259-326B-46A1-B26A-72ADCBA9D42B.jpeg

76502476-38A6-4BD2-94E1-D66DB4B64139.jpeg

835D80E5-C054-4990-9708-60266DE1458F.jpeg

I’ve picked up a few violins of this quality on eBay that had open seams in the $50-90 range. After closing, a couple have even sounded okay.... there are plenty of newer, used student grade, better quality violins to be found on eBay for the same or lower $$. Knilling comes to mind. Better yet, go to a local shop and talk to them.

Do not give your friend this violin. This is probably not a good sounding violin, and it is in need of repaires and a new setup, possibly old repairs are not only visually, but also structurally badly done and need redoing. Your friend will find him/herself obliged to play a terrible instrument because it was gifted to him/her. 

Aside from that, gifting string instruments is a bad idea anyway, because tastes differ.

Do you repair or know someone who does? Otherwise a $200 fiddle like that will cost more than it's worth to fix. I perused fleabay and found this, not fantastic but in the price range, with no real damage. If you're wanting something old that won't cost a lot to set up, then maybe.  I find it amusing this guy comes with no less than five bridges and an extra fingerboard! Plus I'm a sucker for old coffin cases :lol: (ex-goth LOL)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Violin-Antonnius-Stradivarius-1723-Copy-German/164602808215

I've occasionally found some decent stuff around $200 but I'm always looking.  Ebay is basically a barren wasteland but *every once in a blue moon* something can pop up if you're watching! 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:15 AM, reepicheep said:

Do you repair or know someone who does? Otherwise a $200 fiddle like that will cost more than it's worth to fix. I perused fleabay and found this, not fantastic but in the price range, with no real damage. If you're wanting something old that won't cost a lot to set up, then maybe.  I find it amusing this guy comes with no less than five bridges and an extra fingerboard! Plus I'm a sucker for old coffin cases :lol: (ex-goth LOL)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Violin-Antonnius-Stradivarius-1723-Copy-German/164602808215

I've occasionally found some decent stuff around $200 but I'm always looking.  Ebay is basically a barren wasteland but *every once in a blue moon* something can pop up if you're watching! 

It has five bridges and a spare fingerboard because the neck is sinking and needs to be reset. Ups.

2 hours ago, Guido said:

It has five bridges and a spare fingerboard because the neck is sinking and needs to be reset. Ups.

Ah hah!  Yes that would explain it :) Yeah at $200 it was tough to find anything.  I second Mystic's suggestion to go to a shop.  Maybe $200 could be a down payment on something actually useful that needs no repairs.