Sibelius Sonata for Unaccompanied Violin

Bill Merkel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Carl Stross said:

Thank you. You are kind.

I wish to remind you that a while ago you severely admonished a chap who played Pag I c/to EIGHTEEN times in four weeks and who was Oistrakh's pupil. Send him some body lotion firstly.

Tsk...I don't know him at all...it's your well-being I'm concerned about! :wub:

He can get his own lotion...

8 minutes ago, Rue said:

Tsk...I don't know him at all...it's your well-being I'm concerned about! :wub:

He can get his own lotion...

I see. 

Look : I noticed for a while that it's becoming practically impossible to have a professional discussion here on MN. Might explain why so many are not on the forum anymore and prefer to chat via email and away from the constant disruption from anonymous dilletantes full of attitudes and opinions backed by nothing at all. One way to help improving the present situation is to participate constructively in the discussions. 

Think about it.

12 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Picture somebody on TV at a piano, picking out parts of a symphony and demonstrating them independently.  Maybe Leonard Bernstein.  Then picture somebody who thinks he's doing it to show off...

Are you clever ? Do you think Hahn is Bernstein ????????????? Or that she's demonstrating parts of the c/to at the piano "independently" ????

Do you think Hahn and Bernstein live on the same plane of musical ability ???????????????? 

And by the way, Bernstein who was first and foremost a politician did do it ( in part ) to show off. He did a lot of things to show off. 

12 hours ago, Carl Stross said:

Are you clever ? Do you think Hahn is Bernstein ????????????? Or that she's demonstrating parts of the c/to at the piano "independently" ????

Do you think Hahn and Bernstein live on the same plane of musical ability ???????????????? 

And by the way, Bernstein who was first and foremost a politician did do it ( in part ) to show off. He did a lot of things to show off. 

Sure.  Similar levels of artistry.  Different instruments.  I don't even have a problem with somebody showing off -- what puritanical part of Germany are you in?  

But that avoids the question.  Why is what is ok for someone else not ok for her?

15 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Gee, and I thought Freud's explanations for everything went back to obsessing over your genitalia while lusting to commit incest.  He was also the archetype of the weird screwball shrink, but what can you expect from a guy who shot up cocaine a lot.  :ph34r:  :lol:

Too strong, like you resent your analyst or something...

15 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

Definite screwball.  It was all Eros/Thanatos to him.

-------

It takes real hauteur to criticize Hahn on technique.  She's one of the most technically proficient players out there.  Universally acclaimed.  Any sound she's creating, I'd be pretty sure she's creating it on purpose.  Perhaps matesic has never performed with a symphony orchestra at his back in a large hall?  It's presents a rather different technical challenge.

Who said anything about technique? I just find the bow-change noises unpleasant. Maybe it's something to do with the acoustic or the miking. 

8 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Too strong, like you resent your analyst or something...

Wrong inference.  It's because all the psych theory I was taught as an undergrad (easy "A's" as electives, no math, no papers  :lol:  ), turned out to be pseudoscience once genuine brain research got traction.   :P

8 hours ago, matesic said:

Who said anything about technique? I just find the bow-change noises unpleasant. Maybe it's something to do with the acoustic or the miking. 

"bow-changing noises" are surely one of the primary elements of stringed instrument technique.

After a few seconds, you were "distracted" by these noises, and then judged that the whole thing was "gratuitous, presumptuous, self-aggrandizing behaviour."

Meanwhile, I was hearing those bow-changes and learning and appreciating what Hahn, one of the greatest musicians alive, sounds like playing a concerto without orchestral accompaniment.

Accusing a performance artist of "self-aggrandizing" behavior is a compliment, right? Hahn has been using social media to interact with fans and promote her brand for decades now. It's her job.

PS-

(Before your respond indignantly about how it's the job of a soloist to ____________, not to promote their brand, I urge you to do even the teensiest tiniest amount of research about the "self-aggrandizing" behavior of every single one of your classical music heroes from Baroque through Classical and Romantic periods, in the 20th Century, and now.)

I do find it a bit depressing that people who are so hugely interested in the minutiae of a particular performance haven't learnt about camcorders, auto-gain and compression artefacts, let alone digital compression.

The idea that you can compare the sound of the Youtube video of this performance with the actual sound in the room is ludicrous.

53 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I do find it a bit depressing that people who are so hugely interested in the minutiae of a particular performance haven't learnt about camcorders, auto-gain and compression artefacts, let alone digital compression.

The idea that you can compare the sound of the Youtube video of this performance with the actual sound in the room is ludicrous.

Recorded will never replace live. There. is. No. Substitute. For being there.

that’s why all those YouTube videos comparing a five dollar violin and a $50 violin and so on are so useless. Not to mention the question of whether it’s a $50 violinist.

3 hours ago, VicM said:

You must stop posting nonsense.

She’s not?

I think it goes without saying that she is, regardless of how large or small is that elite group. Greatness consists of many traits and she has all of them, As well as being gifted with assets like a sense of humor, charm, personality and beauty, that do not necessarily contribute to greatness but certainly do not hurt.

shes not my favorite at the moment; that is still Henryk Szeryng, But I would eagerly buy a ticket if she were coming to town.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:00 PM, Rue said:

I don't think light-hearted banter interspersed between more serious discourse hurts the more serious discourse whatsoever.

...and I'll leave it at that, so I can't be accused of being non-constructive...

The world needs more non-constructive banter.

and lotion...

(checks mailbox...again)

Regarding the scratchy bow changes, there’s nothing wrong with that. In a real performance you wouldn’t hear it, and often, and a performance of a solo Bach you do, but it doesn’t-shouldn’t-detract from the quality of the performance. I personally do my best to minimize Bow noise, But it exists, it’s there, it is the nature of the beast, and there’s nothing “wrong” with it.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Regarding the scratchy bow changes, there’s nothing wrong with that. In a real performance you wouldn’t hear it, and often, and a performance of a solo Bach you do, but it doesn’t-shouldn’t-detract from the quality of the performance. I personally do my best to minimize Bow noise, But it exists, it’s there, it is the nature of the beast, and there’s nothing “wrong” with it.

The bow change noise is massively exaggerated because of the auto-gain/ compression inherent in cheap camcorder recordings. I don't think it merits serious discussion.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the concept, compression or auto-gain makes loud things quiet and quiet things loud.

7 hours ago, martin swan said:

The bow change noise is massively exaggerated because of the auto-gain/ compression inherent in cheap camcorder recordings. I don't think it merits serious discussion.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the concept, compression or auto-gain makes loud things quiet and quiet things loud.

Yes, of course it must be. But that has no bearing at all on my grudge. Not for the first time I think I detect a transatlantic psycho-cultural divide. In the UK we're more appreciative of self-effacement, modesty, humility in our musicians, perhaps to an excessive degree (although naturally I don't think so). It's hard for me to imagine the likes of Nicola Benedetti or Jennifer Pike going HH's route.

And of course it doesn't only apply to musicians!

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

if I order some will you deliver?

What a website!  Free premium pickup lines!

17 minutes ago, matesic said:

In the UK we're more appreciative of self-effacement, modesty, humility

That's why you were reduced from the dominant world power to a 1 square cm piece of cinder.