If you could have one violin(ish) wish...

Blame this musical instrument meandering on Jacob's offer to provide an instrument to a young student...^_^

And since it's coming up on the Pandemic Christmas of 2020, where we need to make/take our carefully physically distanced fun when we can...

If you could, for personal use (NOT for resale!), be gifted any realistic instrument/bow that you would like to have and use, what would it be?

Example: Even though I have 2 inexpensive, but decent, violas (16" Shen and another 15 3/4" Chinese instrument), and I rarely play either, I would really like to have a "better" quality viola by a current maker.

I think I may start up a viola fund with my recycling money. :)

As nice as it is to daydream about owning a rare antique, I actually wouldn't want a Strad or other Big Name instrument. I'd be too worried about looking after it to actually relax playing it...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Rue said:

Blame this musical instrument meandering on Jacob's offer to provide an instrument to a young student...^_^

And since it's coming up on the Pandemic Christmas of 2020, where we need to make/take our carefully physically distanced fun when we can...

If you could, for personal use (NOT for resale!), be gifted any realistic instrument/bow that you would like to have and use, what would it be?

Example: Even though I have 2 inexpensive, but decent, violas (16" Shen and another 15 3/4" Chinese instrument), and I rarely play either, I would really like to have a "better" quality viola by a current maker.

I think I may start up a viola fund with my recycling money. :)

As nice as it is to daydream about owning a rare antique, I actually wouldn't want a Strad or other Big Name instrument. I'd be too worried about looking after it to actually relax playing it...

If your greatest wish is a beautiful viola, then you should come and visit. If you don’t want me to hear you're viola playing, I would be quite happy to go into a different room:D

Tsk! ^_^  As much as I'd love to visit (and who knows, maybe one day, when the world opens up again, I will be knocking on your doors) - you two are not playing the game! :angry:

What would you wish for?

Hmmm if you’re asking about what normal instrument we would love to have, for the purpose of playing in the course of our regular lives, it’s A bit difficult to separate out what I’d like to have from what I do have, but I’d love a nice Becker Sr. Such boring looking instruments, and yet so fabulous.

if you mean contemporary, I spent so much time looking at that strange avatar of David’s that I’d like to have one of his cellos.

If he ever chose to give me one, I’m sure I would advertise it well enough to make it worth the gift...

David? David? You listening?

2 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Nothing. I believe in the 10,000 hour rule. We have to work for it. I was listening to Joshua Bell the other day and thinking about how he got to where he is. Not by sitting around hoping and wishing.

:mellow:

You're supposed to pick a violin, or bow, you'd realistically like to have. Something Santa could possibly bring you...

16 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Hmmm if you’re asking about what normal instrument we would love to have, for the purpose of playing in the course of our regular lives, it’s A bit difficult to separate out what I’d like to have from what I do have, but I’d love a nice Becker Sr. Such boring looking instruments, and yet so fabulous.

if you mean contemporary, I spent so much time looking at that strange avatar of David’s that I’d like to have one of his cellos.

If he ever chose to give me one, I’m sure I would advertise it well enough to make it worth the gift...

David? David? You listening?

Who knew this would be such a tough question?!

Pick anything you'd like to have!

If I wasn't opting for a contemporary viola...my other choice would be a Strnad! :wub:

At a VSA a few years ago, Isaac Salchow had some bows on display. One with a silk winding caught my I and I picked it up. I was surprised how comfortable a frog could feel! I had a nice chat with Isaac as well. I don't have a viola bow, so Rue can send me one of Isaac's. :D

Well, The original question was about any “reasonable” instrument, so a Strad is out of the question.

But, come to think of it, a couple years ago I played on an unknown old Italian cello offered for sale by David Brewer. It had been narrowed down to a particular location and era but not more than that. It was bright yellow, and it was gorgeous, and it sounded like nothing I’ve ever played before. I loved it, and I told David that this cello would make me cheat on mine. He casually told me it was selling for $200,000. What an amazing cello that was.

Yeah, that one…

I would like the violin owned by my great uncle, who was well known locally. I have no idea what it was or if it still exists though. Definitely something only Santa could help with. Everything else on my want list I could probably buy--well, maybe not.

Violins and I don't mix, but I think it would be awesome to have the cello that was used as a snow rudder and had holes shot into in the movie The Living Daylights. It is probably a totally junk cello, but then again I am a terrible cellist. :)

Any VSA double-gold winning violin.  I wouldn't play it much, as I have enough decent-sounding fiddles laying around to play (and don't), but I'd "use" it for a tone and workmanship reference/goal for improving what I make.