Quiz: tool found in old violinmaker’s shop

3 minutes ago, Stephen Perry said:

It's a guided channel scraper to get the curve up from the channel towards the center of the plate.  I saw a video long ago of someone using this type of thing.  I would 1.  lose it and 2. figure out it wasn't required.

Very interesting. But not what this was designed for

9 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Maybe just a holder to have a better grip on the scraper with one hand. 

Bingo, but also to hold the scraper vertical to the stone. This thing works!

I bought cheap diamond stones, diamonds embedded in stainless steel. 400 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit. These stones are thin, 1.0 mm or so. But they are cheap, and they work.

1/2 point to Andreas.

11 hours ago, violins88 said:

..to hold the scraper vertical to the stone...

It's obvious that it would work well for this.  If the scraper were not exactly vertical, it would certainly be at a consistent angle close to vertical, which it probably more desirable than being exactly vertical.  But I've never tried drilling holes in scraper material.  How hard is it?

Brad,

Actually it needs a special technique. Getting the drill to go through is not the problem. The steel deforms near the hole so that you have a non-flat scraper. Maybe drilling the hole with some annealed steel underneath the scraper would help. We have people on here who know the answer to this, I am sure.

Scraper steel is not too hard. 

Some entrepreneur might have 200 sets of scrapers cut out by laser. The profit margin might barely justify doing it.