The Sadness of On-line Music

I haven't embraced on-line performances to date. I just can't take YouTube type venues seriously. I see them as a necessary evil of sorts and I think when we return to a "new normal", there will be much more on-line everything.

Personal preferences aside, in an attempt to keep current, I "attended" my first live symphony performance last night. I locked myself in my office, dimmed the lights, got comfy in my comfy chair...and watched...

Total disconnect. :mellow:

The music was fine. The videography was fine. But I just couldn't get into it. I think, in part, it was because I had no control over what I was looking at. I had to be on board with what the videographer was showing me. So I was living their reality and not my own.

There were some 300+ viewers. I wonder how many actually paid attention? I did my best to stay focused, I didn't wander off, or take a potty break...but how many did?

Similarly with my weekly lessons. They are fine, but I'm demotivated. I'm now trying to work up some enthusiasm for our Xmas recital. My teacher will email me her duet part, and I will record myself as I play along with it. But it’s somehow just not "real" and/or compelling.

Our community orchestra rehearsals were supposed to start up again last week, but haven't. This week there are new covid restrictions in place, so who knows what will happen. Also demotivating. We are looking at a live streaming format of some kind...yippee...

I  realize everyone is in the same boat, and that options are limited or non-existent, but it's all just very ...I don't even have a adequate descriptor...best I can come up with is

...sad.:(

56 minutes ago, Rue said:

I haven't embraced on-line performances to date. I just can't take YouTube type venues seriously. I see them as a necessary evil of sorts and I think when we return to a "new normal", there will be much more on-line everything.

Personal preferences aside, in an attempt to keep current, I "attended" my first live symphony performance last night. I locked myself in my office, dimmed the lights, got comfy in my comfy chair...and watched...

Total disconnect. :mellow:

The music was fine. The videography was fine. But I just couldn't get into it. I think, in part, it was because I had no control over what I was looking at. I had to be on board with what the videographer was showing me. So I was living their reality and not my own.

There were some 300+ viewers. I wonder how many actually paid attention? I did my best to stay focused, I didn't wander off, or take a potty break...but how many did?

Similarly with my weekly lessons. They are fine, but I'm demotivated. I'm now trying to work up some enthusiasm for our Xmas recital. My teacher will email me her duet part, and I will record myself as I play along with it. But it’s somehow just not "real" and/or compelling.

Our community orchestra rehearsals were supposed to start up again last week, but haven't. This week there are new covid restrictions in place, so who knows what will happen. Also demotivating. We are looking at a live streaming format of some kind...yippee...

I  realize everyone is in the same boat, and that options are limited or non-existent, but it's all just very ...I don't even have a adequate descriptor...best I can come up with is

...sad.:(

Yes, it is sad  not to be able to attend live performances or play with other people.  Watching and listening on-line is better than having no way to listen to the music.  I agree that you lose the emotional connection with the performer.  I have spent countless hours listening to music on records and can have an emotional response that way.  I have seen a number of Metropolitan Opera live streaming performances.  Considering the difficulty of seeing such a performance live in person in the opera hall, I am grateful for this opportunity.  And with the Met streaming, I get some things I would not get were I to attend a performance in the hall, such as better view and interviews with the stars.  One aspect of this situation is so-called Zoom (or screen) overload.  Watching a computer screen for a long time takes a toll on our visual apparatus.  If I am on line for hours working, I am unlikely to want to watch the screen in the evening.  As a player, I miss my regular chamber music and orchestra  sessions.  Playing with a group on line has its own difficulties in the form of needing software and equipment to make it possible to play together.  Zoom is not very useful for this, too much latency and feedback.  Better experiences can be had with software like Jamkazam or Jamulus but they need the users to avoid latency as much as possible and might require an upgrade of your computer, an ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to your router, and a good microphone.  I was a child during the years before the development of effective polio vaccines.  I remember not being allowed to go to playgrounds or the beach in summer.   Now polio has almost been eliminated.  There will be vaccines for COVID-19 eventually.  We just have to wait to learn how well they will work and for how long the immunity they give will last.  Just hang on and stay safe.

I miss live music terribly, but  how awful is it for the musicians themselves. Both of my daughters  are performers and performing as part of an ensemble is an important part of who they are. Their grief at what they have lost during this pandemic is quite harrowing, and the impact on their mental health has been horrible. Yet they are both lucky because at least they are at a point in life (one just pre college and the other in her second year) where at least they are are not financially devastated as well. It must be hard to take the long view when you have no money to put food on the table!

We all just have to do what we can, where we can, to keep music alive until better times

I am seeing two different approaches to the situation. The first is the search for virtual equivalents - the online concerts, zoom meetings, etc. I understand the urge to swap out virtual things for their real life equivalent but I agree it is an inferior substitute.

The second is to try and take advantage of the different situation to do different things. Because no-one is visiting and there are no events to travel to I had whole weeks to totally focus on projects such as reading, making things, practising...

17 minutes ago, bungling_amateur said:

The second is to try and take advantage of the different situation to do different things. Because no-one is visiting and there are no events to travel to I had whole weeks to totally focus on projects such as reading, making things, practising...

Hell yeah.  It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Yes...having the world shut down provided some pluses for some people.  I also think the effect it had on the global environment was a bit of a wake-up call that I hope leads to long-term environmental changes before we self-destruct.

(Oh!  And please!  If you are wearing disposable masks (which you shouldn't be - too much unnecessary garbage) make sure you cut the ear loops before you discard.  That way if it ends up floating in the ocean or exposed in a landfill it won't strangle animals  that may get their necks caught in it).

But - I think we need to reevaluate internet performances - if that's going to remain as another valid/regular venue for both performing and for audiences.

Watching a live performance versus watching a recorded performance is also different.  The recorded performance - IMO has less value because it's not a "once-in-a-lifetime" event.  You can watch it anytime you want.  You can zone out, and then rewatch what you missed.  To me it's more of tool than a pure entertainment venue.

59 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

N95 is back on the market, so "disposables" are the most effective.

If you absolutely need a disposable, use it and then 'dispose' of it properly.  I'm not talking about valid usage.

Most of the people (90%) I see wearing disposables, especially around here, do not need to use one.  The cloth ones (provided they fit well and are worn properly) work well, are reusable and more comfortable.  

One of my pet peeves related to this is organizations streaming pre-recorded concerts for their virtual music seasons rather than livestreaming the events, even pretending it's live by making the recording available at 8pm on a Saturday night.  Get the musicians into a hall at concert time and broadcast the event live.  (I have no issue at all with leaving the recording of the livestream up afterwards.)

@Bill Merkel  When I've gone to medical offices or hospitals during the pandemic I have not been allowed to use my own mask, no one is.  They hand out disposable mask when you enter and they are not N95 masks.  I think I understand why they do this: used masks can become loaded with virus particles and thus become worse than wearing no mask.

24 minutes ago, Garth E. said:

Rue, I've found that on-line is fine for learning new material, not for being entertained. I said the same thing about videos when they first came out...they sucked, totally evacuated the imagination.

I agree with you about music videos. When they first came out I was appalled. I said they'd never last.

I was wrong! :huh:

I am a Chris De Burgh fan. He is the only pop entertainer I've seen several times over the years. I love his early ballads.

An early video I saw of one of his songs was so completely different to my perceptions - that it totally ruined the song for me. I still won't watch music videos unless someone twists my arm or I'm researching something or other.

1 hour ago, gowan said:

@Bill Merkel  When I've gone to medical offices or hospitals during the pandemic I have not been allowed to use my own mask, no one is.  They hand out disposable mask when you enter and they are not N95 masks.  I think I understand why they do this: used masks can become loaded with virus particles and thus become worse than wearing no mask.

At the risk of going totally OT,  I  understand why they would do this too...

But the entire concept of having to produce tonnes of unnecessary garbage because humanity is unable to launder a scrap of cotton (even if it's double-layered!) boggles the mind.

11 hours ago, gowan said:

@Bill Merkel  When I've gone to medical offices or hospitals during the pandemic I have not been allowed to use my own mask, no one is. 

There's a member of Congress who visited a place and they wouldn't let him wear his N95 and instead insisted he wear their inferior mask.  Needless to say, he left.

The live music thing is a bummer, but the online fiddle camps have been awesome for me. I've attended both the Maine Fiddle Camp and just a few weeks ago, Fiddle Hell online. I would never have been able to go in person so these were both COVID only opportunities for me. Also, attending seminars online can be less intimidating than in person for someone new to that sort of thing, and the Fiddle Hell sessions are all saved online for three months, which means you can get a lot more out of it. So, all in all, a silver lining I guess.