Carl Stross

Devil's Trill Sonata (G Tartini/ed. Kreisler) - Kerson Leong

The piece can certainly take a romantic interpretation (I guess half of it must be Kreisler?) when played as well as that, although I'm unconvinced by the first Allegro and the trills being played so smoothly. In places it's actually quite hard to tell that they are trills because he's only just touching the string with his higher finger. I remember Ida Haendl's recording on Supraphon being far more robust. Too much skin on view from the pianist.

6 hours ago, matesic said:

The piece can certainly take a romantic interpretation (I guess half of it must be Kreisler?) when played as well as that, although I'm unconvinced by the first Allegro and the trills being played so smoothly. In places it's actually quite hard to tell that they are trills because he's only just touching the string with his higher finger. I remember Ida Haendl's recording on Supraphon being far more robust. Too much skin on view from the pianist.

I think we should cut him some slack - he's doing great. Yes, here and there he's not 100% convincing but then Ida Haendel had years of top notch instruction which will (unfortunately) never be available again. And she was a super-talent as well. And she was much older and that was a studio recording with quite a few cuts, some pretty obvious. I think our young violinist is still adjusting his trill action and that takes some years to get dead right.

I agree with the pianist showing too much skin. A more petite pianist would be called for here.

13 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Honestly, how can anybody give a hoot about anybody's version of that?

You need to be more specific - what do you mean ? I'll be glad to explain if I can.

BTW I noticed that of late, you are practicing "crypticism" . In case you need feedback, it's not working

15 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Honestly, how can anybody give a hoot about anybody's version of that?

1 hour ago, Carl Stross said:

You need to be more specific - what do you mean ? I'll be glad to explain if I can.

BTW I noticed that of late, you are practicing "crypticism" . In case you need feedback, it's not working

The cryptography decodes to it's awful no matter how well it's played :)

Very nice!  I also like that he's showing some emotion without going overboard with it.  It's engaging vs. off-putting.

And...as judgmental as I can (and am) be about performance attire...the pianist was dressed appropriately.  I probably wouldn't wear it (even if my arms were better toned)... but it's still fine. 

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Very nice!  I also like that he's showing some emotion without going overboard with it.  It's engaging vs. off-putting.

And...as judgmental as I can (and am) be about performance attire...the pianist was dressed appropriately.  I probably wouldn't wear it (even if my arms were better toned)... but it's still fine. 

Yes. There may be ( small ) problems here and there but it's an exciting, engaging performance. And his phrasing is superb most of the time. More will come with age and experience. 

1 hour ago, Rue said:

but it's still fine. 

Rue, I'm with you on this.  I'm usually ultra conservative, but it did not seem distracting.

Carl, thanks for posting.  I enjoyed it a lot too. 

As much as I respect you Bill, it's inspiring to me to see someone who has put in the time and effort to deliver a piece like this to such a high level.  

just my 2cents on this cold blustery day in NY...

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

The cryptography decodes to it's awful no matter how well it's played :)

I respect your opinion but I am not sure "awful" can apply to a piece we are at such musical distance from. 

This one just popped up on my YouTube suggestions: 

(How does YouTube know about such things??? :rolleyes:)

Also very enjoyable.

Edit:  YouTube also recommended watching Mr. Rogers get hugged by Koko the gorilla...I'm sure it all means something...maybe....:mellow:

1 hour ago, Shunyata said:

This is my favorite performance of Devils Trill... breathtaking.

Very mature, musically competent approach. Just too many technical problems for me. True artist, none the less.

37 minutes ago, Rue said:

This one just popped up on my YouTube suggestions: 

(How does YouTube know about such things??? :rolleyes:)

Also very enjoyable.

I can do one MUCH better :

On a completely different line of reasoning, I like Andrew Manze's version (senza continuo).  But the above post is quite delightful and I am glad to have discovered Leong.

Unlike Perlman, in a live performance (not the one on youtube) Oistrakh can make the trills of the cadenza sound almost continuous while the bass line is marcato. Never mind the music, feel the trills.