Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Everything is worth something...

So, um, I kinda bought this bow. But it was really really cheap. And for once, the photos were pretty good.

I bought it because it’s silver mounted, the heel plate is pinned in two places, the head looks nicely carved, and because it was very very cheap. And it came with a free violin.

The downside is that it needs a new face plate, wrapping, one pearl eye, And the button appears to not be pinned, which indicates that it is German rather than French. However, it looks like a good bow, and did I say it was very very cheap?

Now that everything is all over except the shouting, I’d love to hear from the masses about what this is.

The Ebony Portion of the button is larger than usual, does that mean anything? Also, the plain pearl eye does not match the pearl in the slide? Is that meaningful?

ADA41985-F6F5-49BC-8477-33BAC0B3BD64.jpeg

C459D905-6D58-4303-9A03-9A7E9B6E6FF0.jpeg

0B440D57-99FA-49CC-84C1-111A00F40815.jpeg

AF9D2797-9C63-4396-AABB-41BA62F2C4B2.jpeg

4BDD509B-535E-4FFA-AEA3-E34917E367D5.jpeg

80E4A257-4DC1-4EDD-AEBF-9C37A5C9881F.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

...and the stash plot thickens...

One of these days, my wife is going to open the closet and find my dust bin and say to her self, “hmmmm, I wonder what’s in here “

I’m gonna have some ‘splainin’ ta do.

MEANWHILE,  What is it? Care to opine?

Hard to see from some of the pictures. Has the head been repaired/modified?

Looks a bit funny on the back of the head above the tip plate. 

Can you show a picture of the frog underslide and the mortice?

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

One of these days, my wife is going to open the closet and find my dust bin and say to her self, “hmmmm, I wonder what’s in here “

I’m gonna have some ‘splainin’ ta do.

Is her name Molly?  ;):lol:

The bow wood looks to me (judging by the black-streaked grain showing plainly in the head) like one of the Dalbergia rosewoods.  :)

“T’aint funny, McGee!”

I was wondering if the wood were lower quality pernambuco, but I don’t see anything that indicates it’s not paubrasilia(Which is very easy to remember because it always brings to mind Pablo Casals, who was called Pau. I often Think the tree was named after him, ha ha.)

3 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Hard to see from some of the pictures. Has the head been repaired/modified?

Looks a bit funny on the back of the head above the tip plate. 

Can you show a picture of the frog underslide and the mortice?

Don’t have it yet. Those were the auction pics.

Looks like "one of these Markneukirchen bows" of the late 19th century. Shapes of both frog and head are too common to tell anything in particular about it, the less with this quality of photos. I won't dare to say something about the wood nor if the pearl colours are matching or not, it's just everything to dark, out of focus and over- or underexposured.

At least I agree that there's something odd going on with the head rear at the faceplate, could be a repair which would leave the frog and adjuster as the only parts of value. But it definitely needs better photos to be sure of anything.

The head plate appears to be without a liner (ebony or otherwise). Are there any nice bows (other then some old English bows like Dodd) where this is found? 

The tip plate (if original) looks very German with the tip tip not rising up past the wood.

23 minutes ago, Violinjon said:

The head plate appears to be without a liner (ebony or otherwise). Are there any nice bows (other then some old English bows like Dodd) where this is found? 

The tip plate (if original) looks very German with the tip tip not rising up past the wood.

It could have a thin liner of fruitwood (like many others), hardly to spot at the photo. A silver mounted Mnk bow from the late 19th century period I would expect to have a lined headplate and to be made from pernambucco.

33 minutes ago, Blank face said:

It could have a thin liner of fruitwood (like many others), hardly to spot at the photo. A silver mounted Mnk bow from the late 19th century period I would expect to have a lined headplate and to be made from pernambucco.

Thank you for your insight. When I get it I will share more detailed photos. My own thought was that it is a good German trade bow, worth restoring.

and the violin will provide warmth on a cold winters night.

:-)