Skinner Violin

It's unusual that its wings are fluted, but, to my eyes, that's the extent of it.  Looks heavily used, and I'd be concerned as to how much work it will need.  No clue, really, going by the offering.  :huh:

15 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Best pictures I have seen on an auction have been the Amber Violins listings, they have so many pictures, way more than anyone else.

I do like the Amati 360 body shots though.

The Amati 360's let you inspect much more thoroughly than any other auction site's pics do.  I hope that use of the technology spreads.  :)

Just now, Violadamore said:

The Amati 360's let you inspect much more thoroughly than any other auction site's pics do.  I hope that use of the technology spreads.  :)

I hope they do the same 360 with the scroll in the future, that would be perfect then.

Skinner still seems to be operating in brick and mortar mode, I think shipping is still through a third party as well. Maybe they'll try to compete harder in the online market. Used to go to the viewings, sometimes they were same time as Tarisio, those were the days.

18 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I can see how detailed photos would make it seem like a good idea to buy remotely at auction, but if you went to the average viewing and heard for yourself how execrable the majority of instruments are, maybe you wouldn't set so much store by the quality of the photos.

It makes it easier to study the instruments visually, and evaluate the archings, etc., of various makers.  It also exposes damage and flaws normally hidden in straight-on photos.  IMHO, it doesn't suddenly make a bad idea a good one.  :)  :lol:

6 hours ago, martin swan said:

I can see how detailed photos would make it seem like a good idea to buy remotely at auction, but if you went to the average viewing and heard for yourself how execrable the majority of instruments are, maybe you wouldn't set so much store by the quality of the photos.

I completely agree, although it is difficult in these current times. I have been to a couple of the Tarisio and Bromptons viewing days in London before the Covid party began.

The varying techniques used to photograph instruments can give widely different impressions, e.g. Brompton's method seems to get beneath the surface shine to a far greater degree than Amati's. With both of them the first time you get to see the instrument in the flesh can be a bit of a shock.

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

The photos have quite good resolution, they allow blowing up the photo to reveal the beauty of the fake scroll graft.

A high quality Stanley blade was used in the making of it..........

But the belly photo is dark and blurry. That's what I'm complaining about. 

So many auction houses have dreadful photos. Do they even care? Or do they think that by having blurry photos they can get more money out of gullible customers?

Either way, we need to complain about this, otherwise they will just keep doing it.