Maestronet Forums

VSA? Anyone? Favorite lecture?

l33tplaya

On 11/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, David Burgess said:

The theory is that the Messiah developed a sound post crack early on, and for that reason may have never been sold during Antonio's lifetime.

Yes. Gregg Alf (masterful production IMO) suggests that the Messiah was a shop reject because it did not meet Stradivari standards of quality with that crack.
I speculate that the strong orange color also did not meet Stradivari’s varnish standards of that time.  During that period there was a strong visible red glaze that Messiah does not have. My theory does stand on sand because I have not examined the Messiah and its contemporary siblings in person. Nevertheless, thumb through lots of quality photos and you will see my point.

9 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Yes. Gregg Alf (masterful production IMO) suggests that the Messiah was a shop reject because it did not meet Stradivari standards of quality with that crack.
I speculate that the strong orange color also did not meet Stradivari’s varnish standards of that time.  During that period there was a strong visible red glaze that Messiah does not have. My theory does stand on sand because I have not examined the Messiah and its contemporary siblings in person. Nevertheless, thumb through lots of quality photos and you will see my point.

The varnish of the Messiah is somewhat underwhelming compared to other instruments. Having seen it in person (albeit through glass in less than optimal lighting in the Ashmolean), the surface is only slightly worn (varnish is relatively thick) and not polished enough to create a coating that has the transparency of other instruments. I do believe that some Strads are orangish in color. Although as you mention that color is tempered by wear, polishing and contamination from rosin, dirt, retouch, and a possible red tint.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:16 AM, scordatura said:

The varnish of the Messiah is somewhat underwhelming compared to other instruments. Having seen it in person (albeit through glass in less than optimal lighting in the Ashmolean), the surface is only slightly worn (varnish is relatively thick) and not polished enough to create a coating that has the transparency of other instruments. I do believe that some Strads are orangish in color. Although as you mention that color is tempered by wear, polishing and contamination from rosin, dirt, retouch, and a possible red tint.

Depending on how it's lit, it can look quite stunning.

Untitled.jpg

On 11/20/2020 at 2:16 AM, scordatura said:

I saw it in the museo del violino under quite bright light. It was the most beautiful, intriguing varnish i could imagine. The color doesn’t have to be everybody’s taste but the transparency, ground reflectivity and chatoyance were stunning. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2020 at 5:48 PM, David Burgess said:

If they haven't yet, I think they eventually will, since the VSA has always published the proceedings of their conventions, available to members, and not just to those who attended the convention

Right you are, David.  The recordings will be available to VSA member non-attendees starting next month.  VSA has been moving the recordings over to Vimeo from YouTube.  Attendees should be able to access the recordings now unless some are still in transit to the new site.  The intent is that they be available "in perpetuity" like the Proceedings Journal -- if you kept your copies ;)) --, just in e-form.  So anyone who joins or renews at any time should be able to access the material starting next year.

An email will be going out to the membership next month.  I'll provide a heads-up when that is on its way.