Sign in to follow this  
Wood Butcher

Tormek, which jigs?

For those who have a Tormek, which jigs do you find the most useful for our purposes?

I see there are quite a variety, and some are expensive. I would be most interested to know which one produces a fingernail shape on the end of gouges, can be used to shape violin making knives etc.
On the other hand, if you bought a jig which turned out to be disappointing, or wasn't suited to violin making tools, it would be interesting to hear about these too.

Presumably the standard wheels are acceptable, and I guess most have the additional leather wheels for the inside polishing of gouges.

I have the T-4 along with short& long knife jigs,plus the flat platform jig for edging scrapers etc.

One can easily almost double the cost of the T-4 unit by purchasing the necessary jigs.

I also own a Worksharp 3000 which I have equipped with the new CBN wheels. Very pleased with the results at about 1/2 the cost of the Tormek & jigs.

I have the Tormek 2000 that I picked up used. It came with a bunch of jigs. Here are the ones I use. The tool rest (SVD-110) is installed. From left to right, stone truing tool (ADV-500), straight edge jig (SVH-60), and knife jig (SVM-45). I only use the Tormek to create the hollow grind without going to the edge, then I finish up on wet stones. I have also used the Tormek to establish a new bevel angle, but that’s a rare task. 

06C487FC-EF26-43C9-903B-F29741112286.thumb.jpeg.ee62f6765c8a1df7480b8066efedc8ff.jpeg

5 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

I see there are quite a variety, and some are expensive. I would be most interested to know which one produces a fingernail shape on the end of gouges,.

SVS-38 short tool (:D) jig.

It's also good for small blades (eg finger plane blades) and things like Japanese chisels that don't fit well in the "straight edge jig".

The tool rest that jim Bress shows above is also really useful.

99% of the time I'd get by with the wheel dresser, the square edge tool (both of those come with the machine, I believe), and the table. I have a custom fixture I attach to the table's face for grinding bench knives with long bevels, and use it without the fixture for scrapers, finger plane blades, other flat curved edge tools and, more than not, gouges. I also have the gouge guide that I use rarely, and the knife jig that I use for kitchen knives.

I suppose they aren't for everyone, but I used one of the first Tormek grinders shipped to the states for many, many years (until the body started to rust out and the wheel cracked) and keep a T-4 at the house that I've had for about 8 or 10 years I think.  A year or two ago I bought a T-8 for the shop to replace the old trusty rust bucket and have been very happy with it.

Thank you for the replies, it is all very helpful.

I know there are many who favor stones, and can make this look easy.
I keep thinking that a Tormek will just do a much better job than I can by hand, particularly with small blades that I'm finding hard to hold steady any more, and with the range of jigs and rests can sharpen pretty much everything I have. Rather than getting carried away, I think I will get the table, and short tool jig to augment what comes with the machine. I see there are often used jigs on ebay from time to time.

There is quite a lot of choice and it can get expensive, there are even numerous types of wheels to choose from now :wacko: