Explain this wrapping? Bad initial quality/cheap repair?

The wrapping looks like it could be heavily tarnished silver wire.  If that's what it is, there's nothing odd about that.  Can you tell if it's wire?

What does look odd is what is applied over the ends of the wrapping.  This looks something like heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape applied over something else.

Whatever the wrapping it is, it can easily be removed and replaced, assuming there's no disaster lurking beneath it.

It’s definitely not silver wire, it’s some kind of rubber, but it’s very hard which makes me think it is old, the ends, gosh, I have no idea what they are.

It’s a nice bow, it feels good the wood appears to be good, but boy it has been around the block a time or two.

Edited by PhilipKT
23 hours ago, TJ Fuss said:

Quick and easy and cheap.

This perhaps is a solution for an inexpensive bow which is shrink wrap over the stick.

A friend plays a wonderful Thomassin bow that is rather lighter in the tip and he opted for shrink wrap over bright red silk. He and I both tend to tear up silk when performing as beautiful and functional as it is and as careful as we are. I have used a clear-ish shrink wrap over one of my bows that has lasted over 10 years with old silk but can not locate the clear-style locally at the electronics parts dealer. The industrial shrink wrap is certainly more robust but it is rather plain.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, PhilipKT said:

This is not a bad bow at all but the wrapping is odd? Never seen this before. It looks old and feels a bit like some kind of hard rubber.

The bow weighs 57.8 grams.

What is this?

( ... )

I am a little puzzled about the weight. How does it play? It might be inexpensive?? but like the lines and the tall frog.

Well, I just left Jay’s house, where I dropped off the bow.

It was indeed three pieces of rubber, or “shrink tubing” is the official term, I guess. There was a little bit of finger wear at one spot, a tiny little dent that Jay will fill before he properly wraps the bow.

Eduard Reichert Dresden referred to bows made by the G A Phretschner shop And sold by a company in New York between 1900-1920. I don’t recall the name.

This particular bow has seen some really bad maintenance, the under slide is nickel, but everything else is silver. The wood appears to be very nice and it feels good. I am Very interested in any ideas about who might have made it. Jay says it was just some nameless shop guy, but he agrees that it’s a nice stick and it will probably clean up very nicely. I will share additional photographs when it is done.

Edited by PhilipKT
27 minutes ago, GoPractice said:

Crap. Not "like." Hanging around too many middle-aged iPhone users.

I admire the boldness of the tall frog and lack of any unnecessary ornamentation. 

Yes, I have become increasingly fond of plain frogs made of excellent quality Ebony. There is a Spartan beauty to them that really appeals to me.

Why are you puzzled by the weight? I’m assuming that with proper leather and silver lapping  the weight will be about 61 g, which should be perfect.I’m assuming that with proper leather and silver laughing the weight will be about 61 g, which should be perfect.

Edited by PhilipKT

Puzzled might be too strong a word.

It *looks* like it would play "lighter" to me. Just impressions which might have been a silly thing to have mentioned.

With thinner silver, the bow would likely be in that 61g range or heavier. Not sure what the tonal qualities were, but I would check the balance so as to set the bias to where you like it and match the tonal quality. In working with Maestro Jay, establish where the balance point might be and if it is traditional, if it were my bow, keep it under 60g with ( synthetic ) whale bone or silk. 

'Course that is not my bow.

If you have the time, learn to lightly finish bows in this price range as it should also be a good looking stick ( not having seen the head or the rest of the stick. ) Be patient. While rehairing requires a certain skill set, finishing bows requires another set which might suit you well.

have/ had ( lent out ) a Bolander with a tough Mountain Mahogany frog that appears to be a solid honey-brown-tan-nish rectangle and some friends comment that it looks too simple. That perhaps there is nothing to offset the slightly bulky form that makes up the tip. Obviously I do not care what they think but it is a sign that there might be a norm or an expectation these days for how things look, not necessarily how they sound. 

One of the best Hill shop bows was also very simple but it was beautiful in the overall simplicity and how it could play sound. The lines were clean, the taper smooth and the bits well taken care of... So many bygone shop owners in a less ethical time suggested that it be traded in for something more sophisticated. 

So just commented on what was pictured tho' it be about about the wrap.

22 minutes ago, GoPractice said:

Puzzled might be too strong a word.

It *looks* like it would play "lighter" to me. Just impressions which might have been a silly thing to have mentioned.

With thinner silver, the bow would likely be in that 61g range or heavier. Not sure what the tonal qualities were, but I would check the balance so as to set the bias to where you like it and match the tonal quality. In working with Maestro Jay, establish where the balance point might be and if it is traditional, if it were my bow, keep it under 60g with ( synthetic ) whale bone or silk. 

'Course that is not my bow.

If you have the time, learn to lightly finish bows in this price range as it should also be a good looking stick ( not having seen the head or the rest of the stick. ) Be patient. While rehairing requires a certain skill set, finishing bows requires another set which might suit you well.

That’s actually a very good idea, I have always left that stuff up to Jay’s judgment, but I wonder if tinsel might be a better choice for the lapping, And although I have absolutely no skill at woodworking, I might be able to learn how to do the finish work myself.

3 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

That’s actually a very good idea, I have always left that stuff up to Jay’s judgment, but I wonder if tinsel might be a better choice for the lapping, And although I have absolutely no skill at woodworking, I might be able to learn how to do the finish work myself.

Yes, Maestro Jay can probably help you mix a jar or two of finish and show you the techniques, prepping, applying, drying. A little at a time goes a long way in developing the skill and an eye for the details.

I'm not sure where I read about the shrink-wrapping on bows.   I assume it was on MN at some point during the last 16 years...but I did read about it, so I'm assuming it's not a one-off...

I'm also pretty sure someone used clear shrink wrap to protect the winding.

I'm never sure when protection for the protection needs to end...should we be protecting the shrink wrap? ^_^

This also reminds me of someone wanting a case cover for their case cover.  That is...violin is protected by a case, the case is protected by a case cover...and they wanted to protect the case cover with a case-case cover...:blink:

2 hours ago, Rue said:

I'm not sure where I read about the shrink-wrapping on bows.   I assume it was on MN at some point during the last 16 years...but I did read about it, so I'm assuming it's not a one-off...

I'm also pretty sure someone used clear shrink wrap to protect the winding.

I'm never sure when protection for the protection needs to end...should we be protecting the shrink wrap? ^_^

This also reminds me of someone wanting a case cover for their case cover.  That is...violin is protected by a case, the case is protected by a case cover...and they wanted to protect the case cover with a case-case cover...:blink:

After finally getting the stuff off, it’s clear it was just a bad quality repair. There was a divot in the wood, presumably caused by friction from the thumb or the thumbnail, That might have caused the original wrapping to come loose, and rather than spend the money for new silver wrapping, the owner decided to take the cheap route.

I asked Jay if it was a nice bow, and he showed me a Fetique he was working on. “THIS is a nice bow.”

But he said mine is OK...

He did decline to trade, however.

Edited by PhilipKT
31 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I asked Jay if it was a nice bow, and he showed me a Fetique he was working on. “THIS is a nice bow.”

But he said mine is OK...

He did decline to trade, however.

Jay seems very smart! :)

34 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

After finally getting the stuff off, it’s clear it was just a bad quality repair. There was a divot in the wood, presumably caused by friction from the thumb or the thumbnail, That might have caused the original wrapping to come loose, and rather than spend the money for new silver wrapping, the owner decided to take the cheap route.

A lot of times people don't see value in what they have, and just want it to work again, or not have annoying flappy bits hanging off it.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

A lot of times people don't see value in what they have, and just want it to work again, or not have annoying flappy bits hanging off it.

I just had a chat with Jay, he looked at the Divot And thinks that it was actually a knot in the wood but the wood was considered a good enough piece of wood that they decided to go ahead and make it. So it’s a good piece of wood but not a pretty piece of wood