Sign in to follow this  
Carl Stross

A la Via! - Street music from XIII to XVI cent

Something transcendent and entrancing about ancient music. I suspect accidental or deliberate consumption of ergot (St. Anthony's Fire) and Psilocybe mushrooms (Flesh of the Gods) contributed heavily to musical inspiration, like rock music I listened to in the 60's and 70's.

I am happy to report that after 50 years, the spontaneous voices and visions have stopped, but I can still enjoy this music. 

Thanks for the post.

15 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Which do you like better, Carl, their music or their painting?

Music. I wouldn't say "like" but I find it interesting and it interests me. Quite a bit more sophisticated than I thought. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:00 AM, Carl Stross said:

Music. I wouldn't say "like" but I find it interesting and it interests me. Quite a bit more sophisticated than I thought. 

Delightful music, I found it most refreshing.  [Looks out the window at the mess outside.]  Now, to horse, get our men back in ranks, and let's go sort out the current unpleasantness with the peasants.....¡A la Via!!!!  :ph34r:  :lol:

Faye Dunaway is Queen Isabella - 1/3 Christopher Columbus - YouTube

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

download (13).jpeg

Ahhhhh, yes, Ministerialen, in this case Reinmar III von Brennenberg, nastily murdered in 1276.  The full plate from the Codex Manesse makes the situation more plain,

Codex_Manesse_188r_Reinmar_von_Brennenberg.thumb.jpg.51af9a556b16d93acb07ee801b14cf9b.jpg

You are to be commended, most people would not have a clue that a large part of the chivalry of the medieval Holy Roman Empire was composed of ennobled serfs ( Ministerialen), created from dust (as one might pun) as needed to fill administrative posts, and socially ranked as knights.  Occasionally, the freeborn knights (Ritter) could get rather annoyed with them, as shown above.  :lol:

The plate shown is one of the errors to be found in the Codex Manesse, as Reinmar II, who was the famous minnesinger referred to in the text, wasn't murdered.  Reinmar III was his son.

IMHO, Minnesang would be well worth a discussion here.  :)

Funny.  I figured they were just two random guys prone to violins.  

I remember minnesingers and meistersingers factored prominently into my Mus. His. 101 a hundred years ago.  I'm guessing meistersingers were masters and minnesingers were midgets.

Our ancestors were embarrassing artists.  They make Egyptians doing the tootuncommon look good.

I appreciate the attempt to make me look larger than life.  I am larger than life, but not that way exactly...

On 11/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, Violadamore said:

Delightful music, I found it most refreshing.  [Looks out the window at the mess outside.]  Now, to horse, get our men back in ranks, and let's go sort out the current unpleasantness with the peasants.....¡A la Via!!!!  :ph34r:  :lol:

Faye Dunaway is Queen Isabella - 1/3 Christopher Columbus - YouTube

True. It IS very refreshing. And now that I kept listening to it for a couple of days I find it surprisingly sophisticated. Good call