“Mmmmmmmmcellos.....

6 hours ago, Three13 said:

I wonder what the shipping would be like on that lot 

That one should work, shouldn't it, @PhilipKT

I just looked at the site and t really bothers me they couldn't be bothered to post pics. You don't know if these are nasty factory instruments from the 60ies with very thick ugly and irrepairable nitro varnish and plywood plates, or if there are some nice old saxon instruments amongst them.

3 hours ago, baroquecello said:

I just looked at the site and t really bothers me they couldn't be bothered to post pics. You don't know if these are nasty factory instruments from the 60ies with very thick ugly and irrepairable nitro varnish and plywood plates, or if there are some nice old saxon instruments amongst them.

I would ask them, they have always been good about answering questions, maybe not immediately. But why would you think there could be "nice old saxon instruments" in this lot?  I bet I can answer your question myself--there's not.

13 hours ago, deans said:

Better deal is the violas, 28 of them

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

Probably leftover plywood school-rental cellos from a music store that went out-of-business.

If you buy both lots, you'll have paddles for the cellos.  whee.gif.a53c041e8e417d8e567e66d9ed984b0c.gif

5 hours ago, baroquecello said:

Actually, if they are reasonable old German cellos, even if 2-3 of them are useless, Someone could make a worthwhile profit on them. I own three fractional instruments that Have paid for themselves multiple times over by being rented to my undersized students.

Shipping would be unpleasant…

Edited by PhilipKT
28 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Actually, if they are reasonable old German cellos, even if 2-3 of them are useless, Someone could make a worthwhile profit on them. I own three fractional instruments that Have paid for themselves multiple times over by being rented to my undersized students.

Shipping would be unpleasant…

Go for it! :D

On 11/5/2020 at 6:15 AM, GeorgeH said:

Probably leftover plywood school-rental cellos from a music store that went out-of-business.

I sat in with some kids playing at an after school program and the cello that was grabbed was an old 1960s? 3/4 Kay. The instructor there is a cellist but this instrument surprised me as it played beautifully with just the right resistance and tonally it rocked. There is no volume past the point it is willing to give but it sounded like an old Brescian cello, fast and fluid with no edge. There is a notable SQ out there and this Kay sounds like that old Brescian cello. Easy smooth dynamics until that the volume gave out at its maximum. Warm and complete pps... ...with a $35 Glasser bow.

It was a fantastic teaching instrument as the middle school kids could experience something that would not be readily available to them.

If it were full sized, I would have purchased it from the school. Plywood instruments are engineered and over time the ones that are loved sound fine.