Thoughts on this fiddle...

... just finished putting it together. Seems mint as far as cracks and repairs but as you can see it has multiple varnish blemishes and in some places pretty worn out  in the shoulder back area and left hand third position areas. The sound is very projecting almost piercing and direct with incredible amount of volume.

29 minutes ago, martin swan said:

To me this is a nice Mirecourt violin - there's nothing that would really make me think of Audinot.

Yeah Mirecourt indeed... but isn't everything Mirecourt? I won't forget Rene Morel when he said to me "... there is no French violin made in Paris" 

Here is my former "Audinot" which was Rampal certified. It was an unusual Strad model as he preferred the "Del Gesu" I guess.

IMG_1705 copy.jpg

IMG_1714 copy.jpg

IMG_1712 copy.jpg

IMG_1715 copy.jpg

IMG_1732 copy.jpg

IMG_1706 copy.jpg

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

The corners  amongst other things look rather clumsy compared to your real Audinot!

Perhaps it is not so visible on the photos but small pieces of the corners of the OP violin are actually chipped off...

4 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

I cant believe every corner has lost its shape evenly.   Look at the f hole wings ,they are  completely wrong. Do you think its genuine??? looks like a generic Mirecourt to me .

I don't know. Perhaps a higher end Mirecourt but wanted to see the forum's opinion. I am also wondering if anyone has a del Gesu model Audinot pix 

18 minutes ago, germain said:

I don't know. Perhaps a higher end Mirecourt but wanted to see the forum's opinion. I am also wondering if anyone has a del Gesu model Audinot pix 

Michael Darnton has a couple up on his site in  this old thread, he says he has owned six .Del gesu models and that was in 2004, so he seems a bit of an expert on that model...................

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/249646-violin-by-nestor-audinot/

5 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Its not a Del gesu model, its a Strad model with strange corners and F holes.

Are you talking about mine? It's exactly the same model as the two of Michael's that you liked so much in 2006 :D

Whether it's very faithful to del Gesu or not is a moot point, but for me it's more like a DG than a Strad.

1 hour ago, fiddlecollector said:

No the OP violin

OK got you - we are in perfect agreement!

18 hours ago, germain said:

Yeah Mirecourt indeed... but isn't everything Mirecourt? I won't forget Rene Morel when he said to me "... there is no French violin made in Paris" 

... a witty bon mot which sounds impressive but is demonstrably untrue!

18 hours ago, germain said:

Here is my former "Audinot" which was Rampal certified. It was an unusual Strad model as he preferred the "Del Gesu" I guess.

You dumped it so soon? I have been following that violin's fortunes for a while, doesn't seem like anyone holds on to it for very long ... or did you buy it to sell it?

4 hours ago, martin swan said:

You dumped it so soon? I have been following that violin's fortunes for a while, doesn't seem like anyone holds on to it for very long ... or did you buy it to sell it?

Bought it from Brian and then someone fell in love with it as I fell in love with a Tarisio fiddle. Had to do the swap as I needed the $. It was an amazing fiddle in many ways... 

Speaking of corners the picture Martin posted looks more like the corners of my OP. My former real AUDINOT had giant square like corners quite different from both other instruments no? I am very corner confused right now. Also there is some kind of warmth coming from the varnish of the Audinot violins. Not the case with the OP violin. It’s more ore less the standard brown chippy Mirecourt varnish

1 hour ago, germain said:

Speaking of corners the picture Martin posted looks more like the corners of my OP. 

Best to look at the back corners as they are less susceptible to erosion.

The corners on your Strad model and our DG model are different but they are both unusually long. The corners on the first violin you posted are more economical ...

56 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Best to look at the back corners as they are less susceptible to erosion.

The corners on your Strad model and our DG model are different but they are both unusually long. The corners on the first violin you posted are more economical ...

I see... thank you 

On 11/3/2020 at 7:28 PM, fiddlecollector said:
On 11/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, martin swan said:

One regular feature of Nestor Audinot, not immediately visible on these photos, is that the scroll tends to narrow down very suddenly with an obvious ramp as it hits the level of the bottom of the volute (ie just above the A peg).

On this particular violin I have noticed the scroll is quite beautiful. Perhaps better than rest of the instrument. This one seems to narrow down sharply as well right above A strings peg