Maestronet Forums

Striped stain on belly

Argon55

I came across this violin (made in the UK, 1991) with a striped stain that I've seen on a few other violins. It seems to be differentially staining the dense wood in each tree ring and I assume it's done before the varnish is applied.

Can somebody enlighten me about how it's done (i.e. what stain/ground/whatever) and why? Just aesthetic appearance or is there some other reason? I rather like it, though many may react to it like marmite.

PXL_20201101_214208033.jpg

Looks to me like a dark "patina" that is applied and wiped off, with residual that gets stuck in the low spots of the rippled grain.  The ripple can be enhanced by using a dull scraper on the bare wood, and then applying hot water.

This looks excessive to me... usually it develops naturally just in certain areas, like the chinrest.  Or it looks like an old fiddle that had super-dark varnish that was refinished.

Thanks for that. Hadn't considered stain accumulating in ridges in the grain but that certainly makes sense. Strange though that this is probably the fourth violin with this pattern on it that I've seen in the last few years. Unfortunately I didn't take much notice of the ages or makers of the others but this one is definitely modern and British.

How interesting. If so, the violin is wrongly attributed (it's apparently by a relatively well-known English maker). But I've since had a look at other pics of this person's violins and they do have distinct similarities to the one I posted here. And the grain is distinct in them if not quite as pronounced. But then again, people fake things.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, Argon55 said:

How interesting. If so, the violin is wrongly attributed (it's apparently by a relatively well-known English maker). But I've since had a look at other pics of this person's violins and they do have distinct similarities to the one I posted here. And the grain is distinct in them if not quite as pronounced. But then again, people fake things.

maker's name?