Query: New violins at a price point

6 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

That's truly sweet, but I prefer guys who'll buy me one.   :D

People complain that on most internet chatrooms, by the fifth page someone has mentioned Hitler.

My complaint is that by the fifth page, most Maestronet threads descend into a discussion of cars.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, martin swan said:

People complain that on most internet chatrooms, by the fifth page someone has mentioned Hitler.

My complaint is that by the fifth page, most Maestronet threads descend into a discussion of cars.

Well, give me some credit.  At least I mentioned a VW product:ph34r:  ;)

34 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I've been trying to discuss parrots and goats...

...but nada...

8 hours ago, Rue said:

I keep getting the feeling that we're all guilty of ignoring the power of "name dropping".

Buying, wearing, and visibly displaying a known "brand" is an indicator of social status. It's hard to not fall into that trap, given we are an extremely social...and socially conscious...species.

I can use a cheap pleather purse from Walmart just as well as I can use an expensive leather purse handcrafted from a Canadian artisan. Functionality is the same. But I FEEL better/more confident when I use the leather purse.

...and DO NOT ever underestimate the signaling power of an expensive pair of shoes.

So..in part..the "next big name luthier" will be whoever catches the eye of a socially prominent player...and the hoard of violinists who want that connection, to be "just like them", or at least have something tangibly related to them and therefore to have in common...

I did follow my first point trying to diminish the name value thing. Every violin we have bought as we worked through fractionals up to full size we blind tested with her teachers and players in our community. Brought 6-8 home from a couple shops (after trying many more) and played them without name or description to the listeners. It's always been in our mind that we were not buying the last violin, so I admit in the last purchase between two equals we chose a more recognized and marketable name.  Because it was not likely the possible final future violin would be found at the dealer we were trading up with. It's been a great fiddle for her and likely fine until college. We live in the boonies. so the solo rep track is whats available and pushes the skills forward.  

She and I genuinely found the sound of the 20K Wilbaux she tried extraordinary (granted she has not played many others in that price range). Of course, she was also using a great bow they handed her at the exhibition....

Anyway, I check this site for sport, to admire craftsmanship, and to know a little next time I have to wander into the shark tank of the violin market.:)