Maestronet Forums

On 10/30/2020 at 3:41 AM, Rue said:

:)

I like the timeline! Interesting and handy!

The article is nothing but an advertisement. The "past" bit of timeline is wrong in part and nonexistent on the other part. The "author" is simply clueless. The Chinese were exporting violins in 1952....  I bought and sold at least 50 Chinese violins made between 1955 and 1968. They were excellent and for a particular tonal reason in very high demand. The workmanship was excellent and so where the materials. There are numerous similar anomalies re Chinese products : superb quality early, say 55-68 and then back to stone-age. 

10 hours ago, Carl Stross said:

The article is nothing but an advertisement. The "past" bit of timeline is wrong in part and nonexistent on the other part. The "author" is simply clueless. The Chinese were exporting violins in 1952....  I bought and sold at least 50 Chinese violins made between 1955 and 1968. They were excellent and for a particular tonal reason in very high demand. The workmanship was excellent and so where the materials. There are numerous similar anomalies re Chinese products : superb quality early, say 55-68 and then back to stone-age. 

If you can't say something nice............   :P

The article that Rue linked is mildly accurate with regard to the growth of the post-Mao private sector in the PRC.  There's no way to expand the analysis without going very political, and I'm not going there.

You certain that the products you cite didn't come from Taiwan?  :)

5 hours ago, Violadamore said:

If you can't say something nice............   :P

The article that Rue linked is mildly accurate with regard to the growth of the post-Mao private sector in the PRC.  There's no way to expand the analysis without going very political, and I'm not going there.

You certain that the products you cite didn't come from Taiwan?  :)

I suppose I am getting tired of all the experts writing advertorials on subjects they know nothing about. Apparently any "writer" is capable of any writing in the Internet age. Lubricants, bearings, special steels, machine tools etc are a day's work for the millennial with a degree in literature.

I am certain they did not come from Taiwan. We tried to trace the workshop and looked at the customs docs. Unfortunately, the seller was a Chines impex business.

They were excellent violins. Michael Darnton posted here a few times the laser scans of a Bros Amati. That's how those violins looked like.

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Carl may rewrite the history and make it more accurate/factual.

...at least the article provides us with a start!

(BTW...Carl; which factory did yours come from?).

I could not find out. The label had some sort of generic name like Nightingale or such and the stamp and signature of the quality controller. No made in china though.