Maestronet Forums

Glenn Wood violin cases

deans

Hi Deans. Thanks for the concern and I’m pleased to report I’m still in the land of the living.

It’s unusual for entire collections to be offered for sale while the collector is still alive but that’s what’s happened.

In a sense, Rue had it right. Back in January, I planned to return to Europe and needed to ‘declutter’ to make the move easier. Then Covid struck and travel restrictions put the move on ice.

Adam Tober at Skinner came to view the collection and was excited to offer it for sale so here we are. Because I’m still alive, I’m in a position to comment on every piece and provide some background on why it is interesting or important. Much of this commentary should be available in the catalog that will accompany the auction.

Many of the pieces appear in ‘The Art & History of Violin Cases’ and many more will appear in the second edition. Some of the Italians appear in the ‘Registry of Baroque Violin Cases’ published in VSA Papers, 2018.

If any Maestronetters feel inclined to acquire a piece of violin case history, I would be happy to provide background notes and an appraisal.

Soil_handle.jpg

22 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

If moving to Europe, I hope he would pick somewhere warm and clean. Kind of rules out England.

Some places are quite nice to be fair, although all those places probably would like to be independant if they could like Cornwall.

Spent my life in London and I'm getting very sick of it. 

Perhaps the place has changed since Johnson's day?

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Where it's warm and sunny??? :o

^_^ 

The warmth and sun are great attractions, as are the lower property prices and cost of living. I went there in January and had everything sorted. Lower taxes, utility bills and excellent healthcare. Then came Covid. My travel radius is now about 15 miles and mainly limited to the grocery store.

14 hours ago, J-G said:

Perhaps the place has changed since Johnson's day?

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

I think it is more that Johnson could not conceive of a civilised intelligent person whose values and opinions differed from his own.

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Have you learnt any Portuguese yet?

Yes, but it's the Portuguese of Brazil rather than Portugal. I picked it up during my years in South America although I must admit my Spanish is better. Spain would be a better 'fit' for me but the tax incentives in Portugal are more enticing. That said, I was in Oporto in January checking out property prices, cost of living etc and it seems everyone spoke English. You must find the same in Germany.