14 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

its not to fit a whole new tip plate, its just to do a tiny amount of filing on the bit that sticks out from the stick, so how much would you charge for that?? If its more than $40 you're a crook IMHO

Perhaps you should keep such opinions to yourself. What my shop charges, or what another professional charges is not for you to criticize, and calling someone a "crook" just doesn't belong here, unless his name is Machold, then all is fair game.

This is not work from bow maker. It is a mass construction bow. Frog tells everything. Kindly, my personal opinion. 

37 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

If its more than $40 you're a crook IMHO

Maybe my English are bad, but have you ever make a bow? And do you fix all the tip inlay and repair with 20$ or 40$?

5 minutes ago, Nik Kyklo said:

This is not wrok from bow maker. It is a mass construction bow. Frog tells everything. Kindly, my personal opinion. 

Maybe my English are bad, but have you ever make a bow? And do you fix all the tip inlay and repair with 20$?

I was in the maker's shop last friday and am going back again tomorrow so he can study the bow for a few days. I'm sure no one is branding his name into randoms bows and I think he would know if it was his or not. He's pretty international so I think he would know his stuff. 

1 hour ago, Nik Kyklo said:

This is not work from bow maker. It is a mass construction bow. Frog tells everything. Kindly, my personal opinion. 

Maybe my English are bad, but have you ever make a bow? And do you fix all the tip inlay and repair with 20$ or 40$?

it would only take 10 min to make that tip blend in to the stick, at $40, that's $240/hr, some very high end shops might charge that hourly rate, but I've never heard of one that charges more than that, correct me if I'm wrong!! And yes I have made a bow, although it is not my specialty.

5 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Ouchard stamped his bow sticks with date and location. At least one of them did, anyway. Does this bow have a stamp on the stick under the frog?

well it’s not the Ouchard I was thinking of, he is long dead.

I was more concerned of the head shape, its a modern maker, I wanted whose style he was emulating.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:17 PM, Strad O Various Jr. said:

it would only take 10 min to make that tip blend in to the stick, at $40, that's $240/hr, some very high end shops might charge that hourly rate, but I've never heard of one that charges more than that, correct me if I'm wrong!! And yes I have made a bow, although it is not my specialty.

If you are a pro, you charge for your skill and knowledge ... If not, you charge for your time.:)

13 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

So if you charge $1000 to replace a tip plate, and finishing the tip part is 10% of the work, you would charge $100, but who charges $1000 for a tip plate. do you???

That's an incorrect calculation. Given a customer is coming for a 10 minute job there's always a lot of side work, like talking about the repair, inspecting the bow for other issues, writing an invoice, handling it over again etc., so that it's a certain amount of time and effort you will need to invest. For a bigger job these work is getting more neglectable, but if you're going to spend a whole working day just to complete maybe five ten minute jobs for peanuts, then your business won't exist very long, I'm supposing.

Reg. the OP bow I would always suspect that there's more than only the small tip crack visible at the photos. If it had an accident causing this crack there could be more damage and repair work necessary than we can see at pictures here alone.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

That's an incorrect calculation. Given a customer is coming for a 10 minute job there's always a lot of side work, like talking about the repair, inspecting the bow for other issues, writing an invoice, handling it over again etc., so that it's a certain amount of time and effort you will need to invest. For a bigger job these work is getting more neglectable, but if you're going to spend a whole working day just to complete maybe five ten minute jobs for peanuts, then your business won't exist very long, I'm supposing.

Reg. the OP bow I would always suspect that there's more than only the small tip crack visible at the photos. If it had an accident causing this crack there could be more damage and repair work necessary than we can see at pictures here alone.

Maybe I misunderstood, I didn't see any tip crack and was not talking about repairing that, I was talking about how the very tip of the plate had not been properly filed down flush with the stick and what it would cost to finish the job, by properly filing down the tip. I still think $40 is more than reasonable for what I was talking about.

9 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Maybe I misunderstood, I didn't see any tip crack and was not talking about repairing that, I was talking about how the very tip of the plate had not been properly filed down flush with the stick and what it would cost to finish the job, by properly filing down the tip. I still think $40 is more than reasonable for what I was talking about.

I was more referring to your calculation 10% of the work = 10% of the costs. If you are running a shop, alone or with employees, it's not the bench time alone but also the rest of "shop time" I mentioned must be taken into account. Therefore a smaller repair can be proportional more expensive for the customer than a larger.

From the small crack in the tip visible at the first photo we can not know for sure what's going on with the rest of the bow. For example, if there was a shock (maybe a fall) causing this damge, the crack could be also continue invisible under the headplate to the mortice.

11 minutes ago, Blank face said:

I was more referring to your calculation 10% of the work = 10% of the costs. If you are running a shop, alone or with employees, it's not the bench time alone but also the rest of "shop time" I mentioned must be taken into account. Therefore a smaller repair can be proportional more expensive for the customer than a larger.

From the small crack in the tip visible at the first photo we can not know for sure what's going on with the rest of the bow. For example, if there was a shock (maybe a fall) causing this damge, the crack could be also continue invisible under the headplate to the mortice.

, I still don't see this crack everyone is talking about, maybe I need to clean my screen or something? So if someone wants a single string replaced you have to charge them $50 because of the proportionate time involved??

9 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

, I still don't see this crack everyone is talking about, maybe I need to clean my screen or something? So if someone wants a single string replaced you have to charge them $50 because of the proportionate time involved??

Enlarged the crack seems to run into the cheek of the head, so not really harmless (s.below).

Strings are usually replaced by a shop when you are going to buy them there, and yes, many take a (more or less small) charge for it. That's just fair.

2EE0FD74-D14E-4C72-B9EE-AAEB53869A76.png.a268db13816d031cdfa50670ecb61864.png